Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wheeling in and keeping one foot on the floor

I have this vague recollection of an award being presented to the first person to "wheel in" a passenger to his / her cabin on or after the Captains Cocktail Party night on each cruise. I could be wrong, but there was an award for the most attractive passenger, and one for , shall we say, the most ... err unlikely. Can anyone provide more information eg the requirement for an independent witness ?

I also recall that it was an offence to be discovered in your cabin, alone except for a single passenger. This offence could, I believe, be overlooked (or the penalty reduced) providing the officer involved was seen to have at least one leg (foot?) on the ground. Does anyone have any tales ?

This is an opportunity to confess !

Re: Wheeling in and keeping one foot on the floor

I wheeled in the night of the Oriana boiler room fire in 1970. As soon as we heard that the ship would be repaired and that the passengers could stay aboard, I was up on deck as soon as I could get cleaned up. It was my first trip.

Remember talk amongst the Junior Engineers of an “Ushant Cup” (how many before the ship reached Ushant) and a “Grimmer’s Cup” (these evidently were the best because of just how grateful they were)!! Funny but I am sure I shouldn’t approve of such behaviour!!

I remember a small sheild and a sword being manufactured on Oronsay for the prize of entertaining the what was called the 'dragon' of the cruise.
An engineer called 'Sid' won every time.
I wonder what ever became of him?
(The sword and shield were made over many days by Chris Benham, if he is still around)

Geoff Horan
I remember a small sheild and a sword being manufactured on Oronsay for the prize of entertaining the what was called the 'dragon' of the cruise.
An engineer called 'Sid' won every time.
I wonder what ever became of him?
(The sword and shield were made over many days by Chris Benham, if he is still around)
hi fellow wheelers i dont remember an award but Mother and Daughter before Gibraltar comes to mind as a challenge

Yes Geoff, Chris is resident in New Zealand and I have a great photo to send you of Sid with the dragon shield.Also in the photo can be seen just the tip of the hilt of the sword. Sid won it that many times with his penchant for "older"ladies that I think he got to keep it.