Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nice things to remember

Neil, I left early 1970 in Tilbury, Rod Clayburn took over from me, you probably took over from him.

Happy days.

Hi Terry and Roger
I joined Cannanore during May or early June 1970 after doing about 9 months on Arcadia. I left Arcadia just before she began a period of Alaska cruises.
After a spell of leave I joined Cannanore in Tilbury. I didn’t get a handover from my predecessor but your name rang a bell probably from seeing your name on paperwork on board. I know that a relief did the loading or unloading run to Avonmouth and Immingham when I had a couple of weeks leave between my first and second trip. Life was certainly a lot different to that on the passenger fleet.
Most of the time it was a case of make do because we carried very few spares. We did have passengers on board though as we could carry up to twelve and there were usually a few who wanted to escape the winter months for a trip of 16 to 18 weeks.
I always remember the highlight of the week when I would show a film on a very basic projector in the dining room for the passengers and any off duty officers.
At the end of the show I would transport the projector and screen to the Wardroom to set it up for the 8-12 watch who would have their own viewing.
On Sunday evening I showed the same film to the off duty crew. The films were quite up to date as I remember and everyone seemed to enjoy them.
Our time ashore in India and Pakistan was always an eye opener and an experience I’ll not forget. The cinemas in Bombay were really impressive with air conditioning and reclining seats and were showing the same films that were on release at home. I remember going to see Where Eagles Dare and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in widescreen and full stereo sound. Outside we would literally have to pick our way through people sleeping on the pavements.
At the end of my time on Cannanore I did a seven month trip on Oriana before leaving P & O in mid 1972. It was a life of comparative luxury compared to the cargo run but I’m glad to have had the experience at that time in my life. Unfortunately we probably didn’t realise how lucky we were.