Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paul Robinson (aka Bleee)

Sad news indeed. Another great Seadog gone. Condolences to the family.

Such a surprise, Bob Chambers and I were only taking about Paul last week and wondering how he was doing. Very sad news indeed and please Steve if you get the opportunity please pass on my condolences to Gill, or if you speak to Ken ask him to do the same.

Already done that Glyn, I sent her a message on Paul's phone yesterday, which I'm pleased to say she did receive, sending her our deepest condolences from all old Seadogs associated with this website which she did respond to. Paul died in a hospice, he'd been there about a week.

I didn't know Paul but he seemed to be a very nice bloke. Sad to see another one of us pass.

How did he get to be called Bleee?

In 1975, when that photo was taken of us both in my cabin (Paul's putting the rabbit ears on me) he was called "Blue" and I have no idea why. I also have no idea of when or why it changed to "Bleee", someone will know.

R.I.P. Mate!!!

P.S. Still drinking the old "VB" and I'm having one right now in Bleee's honour as I write this :-(

Steve

Paul has just told me some dreadful news. He's been diagnosed with the engineers' worst nightmare, mesothelioma. Paul writes "I had an ambulance ride to A&E with a collapsed lung and they found it was caused by fluid, x-rays showed the fluid but no shadows so they drained 5 litres of fluid and inserted a camera with a biopsy device attached, they observed lesions on my pleura and took biopsies from 8 lesions, they were confirmed as mesothelioma so I am now considering options to extend my life but I am unable to get any definitive life expectancy. I have a dedicated mesothelioma nurse from a charity organisation for asbestos related illness and I will be talking to her today to see if I can get more information."

The next paragraph is pretty scary for us all "I've had annual x-rays for many years right up to July this year specifically looking for asbestos related problems and even during my recent spell in hospital the x-rays and a CT scan did not pick it up, it was only directly looking with a camera that it was diagnosed."

I'm posting this with Paul's permission as I'm a great believer in the power of positive thought, religious people call it prayer but I just believe it's the power of the mind and the more minds thinking the same thing at the same time expands that power.

We're thinking of you mate!

Hello Steve

Received the sad news of Pauls passing from Ken Worsfold, who let us know you had started a tribute page to Paul.

We knew Paul was very ill but hoped he could battle on and keep Gill company a bit longer.

We have many happy memories of Barbies and dinners at Paul and Gills when they lived in Sydney.

Paul was the sort of chap you could count on for help and be proud to count as a friend.

If you read this Gill, we send you our love, and know that we shed a tear or three, then toasted Paul

with a large glass of red.

R.I.P. our friend Paul Robinson

Now that's a pizza.

Paul with Kevin Timms and Geordie John Atkinson. I had a lengthy chat with Kevin today reminiscing about the old days with Paul.

A photo to prove he did work occasionally and wasn't always in a pristine white boiler suit.

L-R: John Hammond, Mark Sawyer, Steve Musson and Bleee.

Mark and I are going to catch up in a Perth pub soon to have a yarn and a few coldies in Paul's honour.

Greg Sinclair asked the question where did the name Bleee come from and Ken Worsfold has kindly emailed me the answer. "I see you are in the dark as to how Paul got his nickname, he was a very hairy bloke so we called him Baloo after the bear in Jungle Book and later Baloo became Blue and later still someone corrupted it to Bleee."

Paul, Baloo, Blue, Bleee Robinson we love you and your good natured humour and all round beautiful person memories will live on in our hearts forever.

WOW - that was a shock. I was talking to Gill at the last P&O Pensioners Lunch in May last year. She explained how bad Paul's condition was and their journey back to Oz.
He was a great guy and engineer and will be sadly missed. I recall lot's of memories with him and some of the antics he got up with. He loved 'winding' people up and was very quick with his replies to always be-on-top of the argument. He will be sadly missed. All my sympathies to his wife Gill.

Sorry to hear of another of our shipmates passing .Condolences to all his family and friends at this sad time.

Steve

Now that\'s a pizza.

Paul with Kevin Timms and Geordie John Atkinson. I had a lengthy chat with Kevin today reminiscing about the old days with Paul.

A photo to prove he did work occasionally and wasn\'t always in a pristine white boiler suit.

L-R: John Hammond, Mark Sawyer, Steve Musson and Bleee.

Mark and I are going to catch up in a Perth pub soon to have a yarn and a few coldies in Paul\'s honour.

Greg Sinclair asked the question where did the name Bleee come from and Ken Worsfold has kindly emailed me the answer. \"I see you are in the dark as to how Paul got his nickname, he was a very hairy bloke so we called him Baloo after the bear in Jungle Book and later Baloo became Blue and later still someone corrupted it to Bleee.\"

Paul, Baloo, Blue, Bleee Robinson we love you and your good natured humour and all round beautiful person memories will live on in our hearts forever.

Very sad news indeed, a true Blue Pompey Boy, fine raconteur and superb wind-up merchant, who will be missed by all, sincere condolences to Gill and the family.
A few people have quizzed the name Blee, I'm fairly certain with the help of more than a few cold frothies, Oaksey and Jacko had a hand in that !
The photo of the Al Jolson impersonators was the result of a major failure of one of the Big O's Boiler FD Fans, thankfully from memory I was the 2nd Duty Leckie, so I dodged a bullet and manned the Fort while others 'turned to' to fix it !
Say hello to 'Blackfoot' for us Blue.

So sorry to hear this news. I didn't know Paul myself but as I mentioned earlier, I have calcification of the lungs due to asbestos inhalation, so its only a metter of time. I'm 73 now but still going strong.

I've just received the following information from Paul's wife Gill via Ken Worsfold about Bleee's funeral and wake...

"Just to let you know the date of Paul's funeral is the 21st February 2020 at the Oaks Havant Crematorium, Bartons Road, Havant, Hampshire PO95NA at 4.00 pm and then at the The Crown Inn, Emsworth, 8 High Street, Emsworth, Hampshire, PO107AW, no flowers please, love Gill".

Thanks Steve