Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where's Jimmy?

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jimmy McFadden?

Jimmy joined Island Princess in 1977 - my last ship - as a fairly new A/E/O. We were on Decks one night & the resident Mexican Accordion player (can't think of his name) was doing his stuff for the punters when Jimmy stated to us that he could do a better job than that & promptly went up to one of the Ent's Officers & had a word, then came back to our little group of gob-smacked engineers. After the Mex Entertainer finished his latest rendition, he told the audience that one of "our illustrious Officers" wanted to have a crack at his Accordion (one of those electric things that you don't have to really squeeze!). Quick as a flash, up jumps Jimmy, with us pleading for him to come back and straps on the Mex's instrument. What happened next was amazing - Jimmy rattled off a load of Scottish tunes & dirges, without a single bum note, and had the punters on their feet cheering him on and really getting into it! Those yanks loved a good Scottish reel! The poor old Mex tried to tweak the various settings on his accordion, but Jimmy knew his stuff and with a bit of a glare carried on for 10-15 mins without a break. The punters loved him.

Jimmy proved to be so popular that he was given a regular spot several evening on each cruise after that & we and the punters loved it. I think the Mex soon realised Jimmy was a much better player than he was and soon warmed to him.

I think there's a photo of Jimmy in the "Canberra Groups - Wardroom" photo. Jimmy is standing in front of Peter Boyle & John Jameson to the right of the photo. He has long blonde hair, holding his glass in his hand.

Anybody know of his whereabouts? I left the Sea soon after that and often wondered if Jimmy was still entertaining somewhere!

Regards to you all,

Bunny Warren

Re: Where's Jimmy?

He is probably still in Mazatlan where Bert and I left him after he wrecked the speedboat when he grounded it...1978