Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jim O'Connor. First electrical officer.

I've just been informed by John Heslop that Jim died yesterday morning after a long illness. I have no details.

Where are you from: Southampton

Re: Jim O'Connor. First electrical officer.

Thanks TB

I remember Jim form my time on Arcadia, August - December 78
and then later on the Sun Princess. Don't recall the time on SP but
I'm certain he was on for a brief period before I left the company
in October 81.

Hows is John Heslop doing these days, have not seen him since 81,
heard he was living in California (Lake Tahoe) for a while. Then
back in the UK.

Regards

Robert.

Where are you from: Orig. Yorkshire (Teesside) now Indianapolis, Indiana.

Terry
Sorry to hear of Jim O'Connor's passing. I remember him from my time on Arcadia 1969/70 when he was 2nd Elect. I also recall John Heslop from that time. Jim is in a group picture taken on the Arcadia which I posted a few months ago. He was a good bloke and always supported us new junior electricians.

Neil Machin

Where are you from: Originally Stoke on Trent now East Anglia

Bob, yes John still lives in the US but comes over to see his brother and for medical reasons, heading back to US today.
Neil, yes he was a good bloke and boss, I sailed under him on the Arc then took over from him, he'll be missed, thanks for the photo.

I remember jim from arcadia 1970 he was 2nd elec and a true gentleman. wee alec was 1st elec.jim will be sadly missed

Where are you from: melbourne

Jim's funeral will take place at Rawdon Crematorium,Leeds after a requiem mass at 11.30am on Wed.27th. November. A Wake is to be held at Yeadon Cricket Club, Leeds.Any further details can be obtained by emailing me.
A fellow seadog and a good friend.

Where are you from: nsw australia

Thanks for the update Mike.

Wednesday 27th November 2013, I’m dismayed that I could not attend Jim O’Connor funeral. However, in an attempt to do something. The Church Choir, which I belong to. At last Sunday mornings service sang (in Jim’s Memory) “Ave Verum Corpus” by William Byrd (1540 to 1623) a fine example of Tudor sacred music.

Where are you from: Orig. Yorkshire (Teesside) now Indianapolis, Indiana.

thanks to all for the nice memories you have of my dear husband jim oconnor kind regards to you all from irene oconnor mrs

Where are you from: yeadon leeds w yorshirethank

Sorry to hear of Jim's death. I was in the cabin opposite him on the Arcadia. I was the Boilermaker. We shared many a gin and slops when I was bunkering and he was duty leckie. He was from Hartlepools and I used to kid him it was British West Hartlepools. He never did much wheeling on the Arcadia - got himself a chillio and he was happy. We were both on the first P&O trip to Alaska. Vale Jim - a true gentleman.

Where are you from: Tasmania