Open Forums

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.

Forum: Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Tom Allard & Mike Beak

More sad news supplied by Derek Warmington through Mike Gold.

Those who are ex BI will be saddened to learn of the passing of two of their colleagues:

Tom Allard
Tom was a Deck Officer with BI and later was Assistant Cargo Superintendent with P&O General Cargo Division in London. He was taken ill while on a Caribbean Cruise and landed ashore to hospital in Curacao and passed away there on Monday 2 February. Funeral details are still awaited.

Mike Beak
Mike was also a Deck Officer with BI and later with P&O Princess but was obliged to leave the sea as a result of ill health in the late 1970’s. His last seagoing appointments were as Chief Officer of Pacific Princess and Uganda. Mike died suddenly at his home on Saturday 31 January. A Thanksgiving Service for Mike will be held at 2.00 pm on Thursday 12 February at the Church of St Margaret, Church Road, Westhorpe, Suffolk, IP14 3SU.

Where are you from: Perth, Western Australia

Email  
Re: Tom Allard & Mike Beak

I did not know Tom, but I sailed with Mike many times. He was Choff on Uganda, and a very cool dude, as they say. I am sorry to hear of his passing. Sympathies to both families.

Email  

I too recall Mike as Choff on Uganda, he was a nice chap

Where are you from: Now Gasgow

Email  

Again I only knew Mike.

Which engineer was it that asked him "which C**T asked for that?" following yet another pernickety rev change being rung down to the engine room during arrival one morning?

Beaky allegedly replies the "short-arsed, white-haired c**t!", whereupon the Old Man appeared from behind the chart table practically hopping up and down saying "Mr Beak, Mr Beak, I may be short and I may have white hair, but I am certainly not a c**t!"

Top man Mike Beak, may you rest in peace

Where are you from: Nuneaton

Email  

Quote: Andrew Ball
Again I only knew Mike.

Which engineer was it that asked him "which C**T asked for that?" following yet another pernickety rev change being rung down to the engine room during arrival one morning?

Beaky allegedly replies the "short-arsed, white-haired c**t!", whereupon the Old Man appeared from behind the chart table practically hopping up and down saying "Mr Beak, Mr Beak, I may be short and I may have white hair, but I am certainly not a c**t!"

Top man Mike Beak, may you rest in peace

That sounds Like something I may have said. Rev changes used to upset me, especially at the end of watch. And that sounds like one of his classic replies. Top man.

What Captain Jack Terry actually said was " I may be short-arsed, I may be white haired but I am certainly not one of those"! All telephone calls on UGANDA could be heard by the 'old man' in his cabin and that's how he picked it up.