Open Forum

Please feel free to start or join in the post discussions but be aware that anonymous posts and posts that are deemed totally unacceptable will be deleted and you may be banned from posting in the future.
Seadogs Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Industrial Deafness

There is currently a big push (by Lawyers!) to fight for compensation for Industrial related deafness here in UK. I have received several calls from these parasites who will do all of the legal work on a "No win - No fee" basis. After refusing a few times, I thought sod it - I'll give it a go.

I have tried to look after my hearing and have always used any protection where it is offered, but of course for us in the 70's and earlier, there was NO protection. I remember there where ear muffs available on the new Motor ships due to the screaming turbo-chargers, but nothing on the numerous steam turbine ships. We all know of the noise generated by turbines, reduction gearing, fans, pumps, etc !(and some 2nd Engineers!!)

I had a hearing test which puts me "borderline" hearing loss which means that, should I receive compensation, it is unlikely to be much. But, what the hell! I might add that the claim is against the Insurers at the time and NOT the company (P&O).Apparently there is quite a pot of money ready for compensation - we will see!

My case only commenced a couple of weeks ago, but if there is a result, I will update this blog. Fingers crossed.

Where are you from: Northampton (originally Swindon)

Way to go. I have hearing aids now, so let me know how your got on. My hearing aids cost £1,800 each - £3,600. So any contribution will be well received.

Where are you from: Doha

Richard (Bunny) Warren
There is currently a big push (by Lawyers!) to fight for compensation for Industrial related deafness here in UK. I have received several calls from these parasites who will do all of the legal work on a "No win - No fee" basis. After refusing a few times, I thought sod it - I'll give it a go.

I have tried to look after my hearing and have always used any protection where it is offered, but of course for us in the 70's and earlier, there was NO protection. I remember there where ear muffs available on the new Motor ships due to the screaming turbo-chargers, but nothing on the numerous steam turbine ships. We all know of the noise generated by turbines, reduction gearing, fans, pumps, etc !(and some 2nd Engineers!!)

I had a hearing test which puts me "borderline" hearing loss which means that, should I receive compensation, it is unlikely to be much. But, what the hell! I might add that the claim is against the Insurers at the time and NOT the company (P&O).Apparently there is quite a pot of money ready for compensation - we will see!

My case only commenced a couple of weeks ago, but if there is a result, I will update this blog. Fingers crossed.

Hi again Richard.

If you don't hear any thing from them your claim it may have fallen on deaf ears.
Or you where not as border line as you thought.

Seriously good luck anyway.

Where are you from: Barrow

One of the main requirements was a good sense of hearing for an engineer. I could always tell if a pump, or whatever, had stopped, or slowed down, by the change in background noise. Even in the public rooms you could tell if a problem was happening by slight variations in the sound.

Quite a few years ago an engineer who I sailed with claimed for Industrial deafness through the Shipping Federation Office in Newcastle. He had to produce his Discharge Book and then received a one off payment of £1000.00 without having to have a medical.
I cannot confirm if this still applies, he told me that the Shipping Companies had created a compensation fund for Industrial Deafness.If this is correct as we all know they would not be in a rush to advertise the fact.

Where are you from: Tyneside now Walton-on-Thames