Return to Website

The Recovery Group Community Message Board

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
over eating after bypass surgery

On March 19, 2009 I had gastric bypass surgery. Initially I lost 100 lbs. Could have stood to lose another 100 but instead stalled at 229 lbs. and now have begun to gain again. At this point I have gained back 26 lbs. because of compulsive over eating. I am doing all the things I was advised not to do and don't seem to be able to stop myself. Not only do I over eat during the day but also when I wake up 2-3 times during the night. I am disgusted with myself. I went through counseling before the surgery to address over eating and thought I had it licked but apparently not. I am desperate for help.

Re: over eating after bypass surgery

OMG
I so understand what you are saying....
I had gastric bypass surgery on July 8th, and I have lost 68 pounds but have stalled for the last 2 months. I do EVERYTHING they told me not to do and I know I'm eating all the wrong things at the wrong times... I definitely need a meeting somewhere

Dear Susan and Mary-Ann,

You don't have to look any further. Overeaters Anonymous is for compulsive eaters who want to stop their compulsive eating.

I came to OA because I simply couldn't stop eating anything and everthing. I have a chronic disease, and must take daily actions to ensure that I don't eat like I used to. Those actions are based in the 12 Steps of Overeaters Anonymous, their 12 Traditions and 9 tools.

I invite you to join us:
To find a face-to-face meeting in your area, go here:
http://www.oa.org/meetings/find-a-meeting.php
To find an online meeting of The Recovery Group (TRG), go here: http://www.therecoverygroup.org/meetings/index.html - Online meetings every 3 hours, around the clock, around the world.

Hope to see you soon.
Welcome to OA - Welcome Home!

There are special focus meetings for post WLS patients Sundays at 5 pm at the special focus room of TRG ...

but ANY OA meeting will work GREAT !!

the truth is these lifesaving surgeries are a jumpstart and aleg up on a chronic problem but thats ALL . WE HAVE to do the rest ..... ratchet down the food addiction .... and learn to enjoy having a lIFE not living through food ....

U ARE SOOOOO WELCOME at OA !! hope to see U there - it WORKS !! love , Ava

Mary Ann

I understand what you are saying. I was scheduled for bypass surgery several years ago and I went to an eating disorder center for counseling before my surgery. I realized the counselor helping me didn't know me or what I was going through. He told me there was no hope for me if I didn't have the surgery. You don't tell a person desperate enough to have this evasive surgery that. I said i will show you no hope. An old friend out of the blue called me one day and told me about and addiction recovery program through my church that deals with all kinds of addictions including food. It helped me so much. I am in school and cannot attend and I am looking for a support group on line. Is this that type of group?
Thanks Kim

@Kim
This forum is only the tip of the iceberg with regards to an "online support group".
For a full list of our various sharing loops, go here: http://www.therecoverygroup.org/index2.html and click on the links that say "LOOPS". We have close to 100 different loops, to choose from. Also, you don't have to limit yourself to just one loop.
All the best,
David

I had RNY bypass in 2002. I lost the 150 lbs but I was 400 at the time of surgery. I have fought for the past 9 years to get the rest off. My problem is I'm a 'grazer' the ONE thing a surgical patient is warned NOT to do. I am also an emotional eater and been thru a lot in the past few years. I have come because I've realized it's the only way I'm going to get the help I need to not graze. I'm scared but looking forward to working the program and getting healthy.

Thank you for this important message. I didn't know there was a TRG special focus meeting and I really need one. I had RNY 7 years ago and am struggling with my food addiction and bulimia again. I've been attending regular OA meetings, but sometimes am fearful of letting anyone know I've had surgery. I lost 100 pounds, regained 30 and have so far lost 21 again. OA is a great program in itself, but I'm glad to know there is a special focus meeting, too.

OMG! Same here. I am a newbie and just found this site today. But also, I am a wls patient. I had lapband 3 years ago and only lost 40 lbs. Now I am gradually gaining it back b/c of compulsive eating. I am so glad I found this site. I feel (a little) hopeful again.

And I so know about not wanting anyone to know I had surgery. I feel like a lapband failure everyday.