Return to Website

The Recovery Group Community Message Board

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

Forum: General Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
solitude

Dear Friends
I am mother, working newcommer from east europe and feel...isolated all the time, despite all the blessings in my life, how do we fight isolation

Pavlina and her lonely evenings after busy happylike days

Are you a member of TRG? newcomer

Email  
Re: solitude

Pavlina,
Thank you for writing. This (writing) is something that many compulsive eaters do to help get over the solitude. We have a very vibrant online community here at The Recovery Group (www.therecoverygroup.org). Please come along and join one or more of our sharing loops - it will help get over the solitude.
Another thing many compulsive eaters do is join online or telephone meetings. For a full list of virutal meetings can be found at www.oa.org.
David
TRG Message Board Coordinator

Are you a member of TRG? Yes

Email  

Greetings Pavlina,

I hear you! I used to go to so many face to face meetings and I still felt lonely and disconnected from the group. Finally 3 1/2 hrs ago I found a Big Book oapp group and got a sponsor. She took me through the steps quickly and before I knew it I was sponsoring others. The second paragraph in the chapter working with others there are 12 step promises...

"Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends-this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequently contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives." This has been my experience. The more I try to help others, particularly the newcomers, the more I am in fellowship with others the loneliness I felt even when surrounded by people has vanished.

Not sure if you go to face to face meetings or phone meetings or online meetings but find a group that has strong recovery, based in the 12 steps. I mostly go join in on phone meetings today. As I said, I found the Big Book the most effective for me personally. It is the original 12 step message. Find a sponsor if you do not have one already. Go through the steps quickly and then live in steps 10, 11 & 12. Then get out and find others you can help by sharing the message, the 12 steps of recovery. Since evenings are particularly difficult, after putting the kids to bed would be a good time to join in on a meeting where you might seek to be of help there, or make calls to a newcomers, make fellowship calls, or sponsor others.

I have experienced what it feels like to be recovered and I pray you may find this peace as well!

Karen

Email  

I just have been looking at things online to see what interests me. This solitude was an interesting word to me. I was recently concerned about isolating myself as I just took a position to work out of my home. I do most everything online. I live alone so I worried I may just be asking for depression to fall on me for doing it. However, I asked to work from home because I was feeling so much pressure at work from outside influences. I begged for it which now I am worried. I promised myself to get out and go to church, my bible groups, face to face classes, trying to keep in contact with those that I did work with if not by email or facebook but by phone. I found it awkward at first but I am realizing it is not isolation it is solitude I wanted. I want to pick and choose when to be out with others and when I want to be alone. I am finding it sorta a blessing itself

Are you a member of TRG? no

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com