Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glass for RN - Measure & Fixing details

Hi John - can't help with the fixings, but dimensioned drawings for glass appear in Purves' Source Book (page 519 et seq)

Rick

I have a full set of RN glass (in plate) taken from a car a vandal made into a pickup. But I am in shropshire.

With my saloon (1930 RL), I cut the rubber in half, stuck it to the body with tigerseal, then bonded oversize pieces of glass to the inside of the body with tigerseal.

It has worked very well, and looks like it was done properly.

Father has it done the original way in his 34 RP, the rubbers leak

34 RN ?

The apertures and glasses of my RP differed side to side. I don’t know if RN the same. The original RP glass seemed to be fitted without sealant and the rubbers did/do leak contributing to the customary floor and framing rot. I don’t know the original arrangement but if the wooden body side rail is suitably shaped or packed the weight of the glass is better supported and the rubbers less likely to leak over time.

Bob Culver

John there are drawings of the glass in the source book and service journals, if no one else can come up with photographs of the frames I can probably arrange some for you.

Edit, pg 340 source book shows framing.

Hello John, I currently have the rear glass out of an RM saloon. I assume the glass sizes are the same, so could send you templates. I did an article for our club newsletter on replacing rear window seal, which I can email to you.This shows how the glass and seal are located. I have always used the factory method of sealing, with no problems, providing the join in the rubber seal is placed at the top of the glass. My RL saloon was done in 1977, and is still water tight. My email address is in the back of the "Grey Mag", Sec South Wales Austin 7 Club. I will be away until Wednesday. John

Thank you for the replys this has cleared a few things up for me and will be in touch with a few via email for further information