Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: V5C errors

Hi Jim,

The last time I had a problem with a V5 for one of my Sevens I rang DVLA and was eventually put through to someone who understood the vintage car side of things. I know it takes a long time to ring them but the person I spoke with was very helpful and the problem was resolved properly. It was worth the effort.

Hi Jim,

I believe the Head of the Historic Vehicle Section at the DVLA is a guy called Stephen Ivey - perhaps this is the person Lance spoke to?

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Hi Jim

I had an example of a mistake on a V5 for one of my austin sevens. I wrote (after a long call) somewhat nervously to the DVLA putting the mistake correct and giving a full explanation of why I believed what I was saying was correct.
They accepted this and matters have been corrected to both their and my satisfaction.
I found them very helpful.

If you are being truthful with a genuine car, I am sure you have nothing to fear.

Good luck.

Nick

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm reluctant to contact DVLA as the result seems to be a bit of a lottery.
A problem only arises when I need an MoT which the car will need, being built early in 1972.
I've visited my excellent friendly local MoT tester. Who showed me how the system works.
The Mot now requires that the tester enters the VIN from the car onto the computer. That will show up any mistakes. If the VIN is correct there is no problem. If it isn't the operator is warned but can go ahead anyway. Effectively a new vehicle is created on the system. This triggers the police to investigate in case the car is stolen. If the police are happy that the car is OK the fault should be corrected and a correct V5C issued. Note SHOULD.
However he showed me the system on his computer and it actually asks for EITHER the whole VIN the be entered OR just the last 6 digits from the car. Apparently it's only the last six that identify the vehicle.
As the mistake on mine is the first digit it probably won't cause a problem if only the last 6 are entered. I shall visit them again and try it to see what happens in that case.
When they entered the whole number from the V5C it correctly identified the car. That confirms that the car is on the DVLA MoT system.
The number on my chassis is 8 characters. The first 2 are 00 and I think are just padding. The VIN on my V5C is 60 followed by the same six as on the chassis with the characters SX appended for some reason. I suspect that these last 2 are padding to get the VIN up to 10 characters which may be what the system expects.
I'll report back when I've tested my theory.

"'I could have thought of a much more complicated way of doing it' said the Red Queen, immensely proud".

I am in a similar situation where the chassis number shown on the V5c is actually the car number and this goes back to the buff log book which is dated around 1938! The actual chassis number is stamped on the NSF chassis rail. Am reluctant to open a discussion with DVLA.

I must say that I have had no problems with the staff at DVLA, they were very helpful earlier this year when I wanted to change the taxation class on my 1931 RN from PLG to Historic Vehicle. They even gave me a full refund on the tax that I had paid to get the car on the road.

I spoke to DVLA today who tell me simply to note the change on section 7 of the V5C and send it in with a covering letter and pictures of the chassis number on the car.
I expect they are getting a lot of discrepancies as the chassis number has to be entered at the start of the MoT to identify the vehicle. This requirement has only been added recently.