Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Differential Adjusters

I have a RK banjo rear axle and am reassembling it. The Woodrow book says MOST adjusters incorporate a wind back thread. I have one with the thread the other without. Is this going to cause me a problem? Alf

Re: Differential Adjusters

Another example of how many Austins are made up by 'mix 'n match'. it could be that other parts have been changed as well.
Provided that your axle has the later differential carrier the 'wind back thread' should make setting up the axle a bit easier.
The diff carrier changed in June 1928 at chassis 64801 to two almost identical halves instead of a diff housing with a cover. I don't think the threaded adjuster works on the earlier carrier, but I may be wrong. Perhaps someone else knows about this?
The windback thread was introduced with the screw-in torque tube axle in May 1929, chassis 84001.
The adjustment of the crown wheel & pinion on the early axles was by 3 sets of shims; Behind the crown wheel carrier bearings at each side; In the joint between the torque tube & diff housing.
Having the later adjuster means that adjusting the diff carrier bearing pre-load by selecting shims, which is a bit of a fiddle, is avoided. Also when setting the mesh only two sets of shims need to be adjusted. This simplifies things, especially if the threaded adjuster is in the off-side axle tube. In which case the diff doesn't need to be removed from the housing to alter the shims.
You need to check that the diff carrier has the right sized bush for your half shafts. The earlier half shafts are 0.875" dia, and the later ones 0.890" dia. I think the change probably happened at the same time as the screw adjustment was introduced. You need to check that the half shafts fit the diff carrier, and you might even have two different sizes! I expect yours will be the smaller diameter though.
I hope this is of help!

Alf and Jim,

I think Alf means he has a complete 'screw adjustment' rear axle assembly with the crown wheel carrier adjusters on either side but only one adjuster has an oil windback thread in the bore.
If the diff side felt seals are in good order or replaced with lip seals this won't cause a problem although you should make sure the oil wind back thread is on the correct side.

Tony.

Thanks gents yes I was talking about the oil return thread. I do have new oil seals so I'm hoping that oil will not escape. The level should not I guess be above the half shaft level? Alf

Alf,

If I remember 7/8 pint straight SAE 140 gear oil which should be below the axles when stationary.

Tony.

Thanks Tony. One adjuster is marked L as it says in Woodrow. Which way is Woodrow looking at the axle, from the front or rear? Alf

These oil scrolls are often worn and/or muddled up. A permanent soloution to oil leakage is to machine O ring grooves in them and install O rings. W

Alf,

I am pretty sure it is the drivers left, so L goes in the nearside differential casing.

Tony.