Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: eBay offer

Me too, it looks well done

No accounting for some! A number of letters to the editor in The Automobile are not in favour of hot-rods being included in a vintage/PVT car magazine.
I do think the excess chrome and trimmings are 'over the top'

I will stay with Austin Sevens thank you.

Tony.

Here's a seven then for you Tony
https://touch.trademe.co.nz/motors/listing/view/966295795

Oooohhh!!! Yukk !

Thank you a fair bit for ruining my day!!!

Tony

The Seven.....Interesting plate. You would have thought that might be one of the deadly sins.

Not sure that little air intake is up to the job... And those seats are HORRID.

Don't forget the forum favourite link

personally I like it, but I can't see it keeping it's 7 identity.

As I said somewhere else on the forum, it's stuff like that which has been a major contributor to our valuable and fascinating motoring history. Without back-yard and shed engineers we might never have had things like Swallow, Gordon England, Ulster et al.
It might not be to your taste but the ingenuity and craftsmanship deserve respect.

The ingenuity and craftsmanship in rebuilding the Leyland Thomas No 1 or the 1921 Morris Oxford Sports and similar machinery I appreciate, sorry !

Tony.

I've just been reading the account of that rebuild in the Automobile mag. Fascinating stuff. I appreciate that too.

Duncan Grimmond
"Without back-yard and shed engineers we might never have had things like Swallow, Gordon England, Ulster et al."

What on earth did back-yard and shed engineers have to do with Swallow Coachbuilding Company Ltd., Gordon England Ltd. and the Austin Motor Company?

Henry Harris
Duncan Grimmond
"Without back-yard and shed engineers we might never have had things like Swallow, Gordon England, Ulster et al."

What on earth did back-yard and shed engineers have to do with Swallow Coachbuilding Company Ltd., Gordon England Ltd. and the Austin Motor Company?

Probably quite a lot, actually. I've always made a point of looking for evidence of "home activities" when recruiting engineers. I've found that usually people who have interests like special building, race car making or just fiddling around with motorbikes make the best engineers when translated into the real world. I don't suppose it was any different in the 1920s.

Alan
Henry Harris
Duncan Grimmond

Probably quite a lot, actually. I've always made a point of looking for evidence of "home activities" when recruiting engineers. I've found that usually people who have interests like special building, race car making or just fiddling around with motorbikes make the best engineers when translated into the real world. I don't suppose it was any different in the 1920s.

Precisely the point I was trying to make Alan, thank you for putting it so concisely. Innovation rarely comes out of the blue, it is much more likely to come from experience and application.
You only have to look at "Bloody Mary"