Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: jacks for those with not much space

I have a Prima in the chummy, 1 snag is that if the tyre is flat you can't use the flip over extension to increase the ultimate height and if you don't use this it will not go high enough to fit a fully inflated spare! Especially if the spare happens to have a 400-19 tyre......hey ho! All the other cars have that which RD recommends, attached in a home fabricated bracket under the floor somewhere and only 1 section of the handle in the tool kit. A bent steel shoe can be welded to the button to make the contact area more like that of an axle stand, unscrew the button extension to the max and cool it after welding to stop the heat reaching the hydraulics. W

Ivan
Hedd, some may wonder why you use the jack to spread the spring and axle apart. But on my American Bantam, which has normal semi-elliptical springs on the rear, I have to do the same thing. Many (not all) Bantams have mudguard spats (Americans call them fender skirts) which are welded into the mudguards. The standard Bantam jack is a long screw jack that hooks under the bumper and in theory the axle hangs down far enough to enable the wheel to be removed. But for this to work the springs have to be set quite high, giving the car an awkward tail-high appearance. So what I do is to spread spring and chassis as per your picture, hold a suitable piece of 1" pipe in place and let the jack go, then put the jack under the spring in the normal away. Brilliant design isn't it?
Ivan

Simple reason. The spring is a custom 15leaf set made up from 2 second hand Landrover LWB fronts and currently fitted to the rear of my living van.

This corner has developed a droop, which I should have known really as the bits were landrover!. One of this winters jobs is to sort a replacement, or at least the main leaves.

I jack it up so that the van is level. It is currently the guest accomodation in the garden.

That reminds me of a hotel I stayed in in Mwanza Tanzania, it was a beached ferry on Lake Victoria, only it wasn't beached level it had a pronounced list to port. I slept OK but I had to remember not to fill my glass with Tusker beer or it overflowed when put on the table.

Hedd, Land Rover leaf springs have a different offset for left and right hand sides, they all ways sit slightly higher on the drivers side when new.

Phil Kingdom.
Hedd, Land Rover leaf springs have a different offset for left and right hand sides, they all ways sit slightly higher on the drivers side when new.

Yes, and packed up all level when fitted That side has since yeilded. Theres currently about 2inch difference