Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RK Saloon info needed.

Ahah, good news Dave. You need to keep the kids of a strict diet, weight and, later on, height become a problem. Hoping to keep going until Patrick hits 12, if only he (and his mates) would slow on the growing. Still 2 1/2 seasons to go, 18 trials done so far. Every one has been a scream, a very worthwhile project. Patrick and I are just starting on an Ulster, so it hasn't put him off. Must get the blown engine together.......

Steve Hainsworth
Hi There, yet another of my cast -offs emerges on the other side of the world!. I purchased said RK off Trade me from Timaru in the South Island 6-7 years ago, very sad but all complete. Two years later sold the car as I purchased my 28 Top-Hat about then. It has obviously had a new floor made for it.
I suspect the car was sent to England as a well known dealer here purchased a large quantity of seven parts from the owners estate (he took his own life). I still have a 1949 Southland Times newspaper from under the drivers seat and the oil button from it that got left behind. The car had been in storage since 1956 when I got it. I hope the NZ bugs haven't infected your ecosystem!
Im missing a 1/4 BSF Sidcrome spanner I may have left under the rear seat !-Wonderful stuff, I have a set of photo taken of it on file so will find and send to you- The new owner will be amazed at this story.Cheers Steve Hainsworth

Hi Steve, thanks so much for info on the saloon. I've had the car a couple of years, but got it a little more locally than NZ! Sorry, I didn't find any spanners under the seat! If it does turn up I'll swap it with you for the oil button!

If you do manage to dig out any photographs, I'd be very interested. Kind regards. Dave

Hi Dave ,I have sent a couple of photos to Martin ,but I have about a hundred more of it on it way up to the North island and all the bits that came with it (a treasure trove it was ) I will send them all to you condensed if poss without losing clarity. it had sat for 60 odd years prior to My rescuing it-Cheers Steve H

Thanks Winston, I'm sure diet will be an unpopular choice with our boys, but height shouldn't be a problem for a while! Great to hear you've still got a few years fun in the RK, I hope ours works out as enduring! Hopefully catch up on the Cotswold to hear about the Ulster....unless the blower makes it into the RK first!....

Progress today. Dave has been reassembling the frames so that we can work out what's there and what isn't.

photo IMG_1511_zpsvol1p26u.jpg

It looks as though the cars had a pretty serious accident at some point. One of the A-posts looks too straight, one too curved and the bottom ends are about 1/2" too far apart. We're going to need some help with establishing the correct profile.

photo IMG_1507_zpsmzynsnsj.jpg

Some major work has been done on the roof timbers in the past, but possibly never finished. Does anyone know whether the wide board at the front should be there?

photo IMG_1524_zpspukvkcfh.jpg

photo IMG_1526_zps6pvvzfg7.jpg

My RK fabric saloon doesn't have the wide board at the front of the roof section. However it was completely rebuilt about 10 years ago by Eric Peppercorn who is actually a vintage Vauxhall expert, so may not be as original. As far as I can tell it seems to have been done very well though. I have a photograph that shows quite a lot of the roof structure which I shall scan and send to you. Won't be this evening.

Hi Martin

I don't think the board looks right. However remember that some early cars had a fixed peak over the window whilst later cars had various forms of metal peaks.

I'll send you some pics of the front of my car by email. BUT I wouldn't rely on them for originality.

Howard

Bryan Downes has posted several photos of the roof of his RK during restoration.

Thanks to everyone for your continuing help and suggestions.

Although this is the "day job", I'm very keen to assemble a permanent and accurate record of A7 woodwork - including the numerous official variations - before sound, original sources become unavailable.

Keep the information coming!

Oh dear. What a sad nerd I seem to have become.

While studying the original floorpan of the RK, we found the body number, as expected, stamped into the top of the transmission tunnel.....

photo IMG_1531_zpsc4zdfb3y.jpg

.....no surprises there. What I hadn't expected was to find the same number, 2373, stamped inside the top hinges of both door. I've never noticed that on any other Seven - am I being stupid?

photo IMG_1530_zpsw6ioodlh.jpg

The hinges are chrome or nickel plated. Was that standard on RKs?

My theory about the body numbers is that every body is a bit different.
I expect they were built in batches and the doors had to be removed to skin the frame.
Numbering the hinges would avoid confusion on refitting the doors.

So do we know who made the new floor yet? I may need one similar to this.

Jim - sounds very likely.

Andrew - The floor was made by Stuart Roach and an excellent job it is, too.

Given the problems that I had recently as a result of another customer's "professionally made" floor, it's well worth going to a recognised expert.

Martin, I have sent you 3 x PM's with lots of pictures; too many to put on here.

Bryan.

Bryan Downes
Martin, I have sent you 3 x PM's with lots of pictures; too many to put on here.

Bryan.

Yes, Bryan, I now have them.

Loads of good stuff there - Thank you very much.

Steve Hainsworth
Hi Dave ,I have sent a couple of photos to Martin ,but I have about a hundred more of it on it way up to the North island and all the bits that came with it (a treasure trove it was ) I will send them all to you condensed if poss without losing clarity. it had sat for 60 odd years prior to My rescuing it-Cheers Steve H

Hi Steve.

Unfortunately, your photos never came through. I'd very much like to see them, so would you mind re-sending them, please? I don't know whether you also sent them to the current owner, Dave Wall, but he hasn't received them either.

My email is buildingsbespoke@btinternet.com.

Many thanks!

Hi Martin and Dave,

If the bonnet from this car is original and undisturbed, the body number can be found neatly signwritten on the underside of the hinge. I have now seen this on two RK saloons.

Thanks Lance.

We don't have the bonnet here, but I'll pass that on to the owner. Am I right in thinking that you (or someone!) posted a photo of one of these numbers about a year ago?

Not me, but I have a very original, albeit in bits, '29 RK fabric saloon which you are welcome to look at if ever you're passing.

Martin Prior

Thanks Lance.

We don't have the bonnet here, but I'll pass that on to the owner. Am I right in thinking that you (or someone!) posted a photo of one of these numbers about a year ago?

Henry Harris posted a picture of the markings on the underside of his SWB Saloon bonnet...

Thanks, Lance and Ruairidh!

Ruairidh Dunford
Martin Prior

Thanks Lance.

Henry Harris posted a picture of the markings on the underside of his SWB Saloon bonnet...

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=969632&cmd=show

I have sent a smaller file of photos through to your building Address last night. I hope they arrive. when sending large emails from NZ we do not get alerted to them being rejected as we do domesticaly. Please let me know if they arrive or not-cheers Steve H

Hi Martin ,
I have sent 190 + photos via photo-bucket to you. I hope they are useful I see one of them shows the car and chassis plates, others show the parlous state of some of it.
Please let me know you have them or not.

Henry Harris
Ruairidh Dunford
Martin Prior

Thanks Lance.

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=969632&cmd=show

Many thanks, Henry. I'll forward this on to the owner.

Steve Hainsworth
Hi Martin ,
I have sent 190 + photos via photo-bucket to you. I hope they are useful I see one of them shows the car and chassis plates, others show the parlous state of some of it.
Please let me know you have them or not.

Hi Steve.

Still no sign of the emailed photos, I'm afraid. It may be a problem at this end as our "Broadband"(!!!!!) is slower than dial-up used to be and less reliable to boot!

I have to confess ignorance as to how to access the Photobucket file that you've sent. I'm pitiful!

Many thanks for your continuing interest.

Martin,

Steve will have undoubtably sent you a link - it should be clickable. If not copy and paste it into your internet software.

If you forward it to me I can advise further...

Ruairidh Dunford
Martin,

Steve will have undoubtably sent you a link - it should be clickable. If not copy and paste it into your internet software.

If you forward it to me I can advise further...

Thanks, Ruairidh. They should never have moved on from telegrams!