Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RK Saloon info needed.

Hi Martin and Dave,

If the bonnet from this car is original and undisturbed, the body number can be found neatly signwritten on the underside of the hinge. I have now seen this on two RK saloons.

While studying the original floorpan of the RK, we found the body number, as expected, stamped into the top of the transmission tunnel.....

photo IMG_1531_zpsc4zdfb3y.jpg

.....no surprises there. What I hadn't expected was to find the same number, 2373, stamped inside the top hinges of both door. I've never noticed that on any other Seven - am I being stupid?

photo IMG_1530_zpsw6ioodlh.jpg

The hinges are chrome or nickel plated. Was that standard on RKs?

My theory about the body numbers is that every body is a bit different.
I expect they were built in batches and the doors had to be removed to skin the frame.
Numbering the hinges would avoid confusion on refitting the doors.

So do we know who made the new floor yet? I may need one similar to this.

Jim - sounds very likely.

Andrew - The floor was made by Stuart Roach and an excellent job it is, too.

Given the problems that I had recently as a result of another customer's "professionally made" floor, it's well worth going to a recognised expert.

Martin, I have sent you 3 x PM's with lots of pictures; too many to put on here.

Bryan.

Bryan Downes
Martin, I have sent you 3 x PM's with lots of pictures; too many to put on here.

Bryan.

Yes, Bryan, I now have them.

Loads of good stuff there - Thank you very much.

Thanks Lance.

We don't have the bonnet here, but I'll pass that on to the owner. Am I right in thinking that you (or someone!) posted a photo of one of these numbers about a year ago?

Not me, but I have a very original, albeit in bits, '29 RK fabric saloon which you are welcome to look at if ever you're passing.

Martin Prior

Thanks Lance.

We don't have the bonnet here, but I'll pass that on to the owner. Am I right in thinking that you (or someone!) posted a photo of one of these numbers about a year ago?

Henry Harris posted a picture of the markings on the underside of his SWB Saloon bonnet...

Thanks, Lance and Ruairidh!

Ruairidh Dunford
Martin Prior

Thanks Lance.

Henry Harris posted a picture of the markings on the underside of his SWB Saloon bonnet...

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=969632&cmd=show

I have sent a smaller file of photos through to your building Address last night. I hope they arrive. when sending large emails from NZ we do not get alerted to them being rejected as we do domesticaly. Please let me know if they arrive or not-cheers Steve H

Hi Martin ,
I have sent 190 + photos via photo-bucket to you. I hope they are useful I see one of them shows the car and chassis plates, others show the parlous state of some of it.
Please let me know you have them or not.

Henry Harris
Ruairidh Dunford
Martin Prior

Thanks Lance.

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=969632&cmd=show

Many thanks, Henry. I'll forward this on to the owner.

Steve Hainsworth
Hi Martin ,
I have sent 190 + photos via photo-bucket to you. I hope they are useful I see one of them shows the car and chassis plates, others show the parlous state of some of it.
Please let me know you have them or not.

Hi Steve.

Still no sign of the emailed photos, I'm afraid. It may be a problem at this end as our "Broadband"(!!!!!) is slower than dial-up used to be and less reliable to boot!

I have to confess ignorance as to how to access the Photobucket file that you've sent. I'm pitiful!

Many thanks for your continuing interest.

Martin,

Steve will have undoubtably sent you a link - it should be clickable. If not copy and paste it into your internet software.

If you forward it to me I can advise further...

Ruairidh Dunford
Martin,

Steve will have undoubtably sent you a link - it should be clickable. If not copy and paste it into your internet software.

If you forward it to me I can advise further...

Thanks, Ruairidh. They should never have moved on from telegrams!