Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Petrol gauge sender unit- the float to be exact :)

I once made a sender in similar condition serviceable by attaching an old A7 carburetor float onto the wire arm using copper wire - it's still working!

Rick

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

I looked around ebay and found one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Petrol-Level-Sender-Unit-Float-Sensor-Tank-For-Gy6-125-150cc-Scooter-Bike-/262123801006?hash=item3d07cbc9ae:i:262123801006

It's difficult to tell how big the float is but I'm hoping I may be able to just remove the float and fit it to the existing arm on my sender. Having removed my rusty float I'm left with an arm with a right angled bend in it which may just suit the float on ebay.

Cost, including delivery, is under £3 so it may be worth a punt.

Phil

I think that should be OK. But do ensure that the arm moves freely in the sender body. If it is stiff the float won't have enough buoyancy.

Howard

Howard
Phil

I think that should be OK. But do ensure that the arm moves freely in the sender body. If it is stiff the float won't have enough buoyancy.

Howard

Thanks Howard, I will. It seems fairly free at the moment but will need a little bit of weight on the arm to get it to drop all the way down. Hopefully the float will add sufficient weight to do that, and will have sufficient "float" to bring it back up again!! I think a bit of testing in a bucket of water will be in order.

Phil

I've only ever had one Seven with a petrol gauge but it had the same problem. A wine bottle cork solved that and worked for the 13 years I had the car. Perhaps it's still working!

Steve

The float in the tank that came with my car was a large cork too. I don't know if it worked or not but the cork certainly floated in petrol so I can't see why it wouldn't.

Steve/Duncan,

That's one fix I never thought of

I'll have to get the wife onto that as she's the wine drinker in our house, I stick to the beer!!

Cheers, Phil

Just in case anyone finds this thread in the future........This http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262123801006?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT arrived today. £2.98 inc postage from China. I removed the float and it fits perfectly over the arm of the A7 sender (once I'd cut away the rusty metal original). It has sufficient weight in it to pull the arm down to its lowest position and has sufficient "float" to raise the arm when immersed in a bowl of water. Slightly more expensive than the cork suggestion but still a bargain!

Phil, can you do photo's and a short discription for our new club Editor, please? John