Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Head Gasket, which way up?

I've just replaced a head gasket and now find that two of the nuts won't tighten properly, probably because the stud is moving in the block. All the other nuts tighten to the correct amount using a torque wrench. Do you think I can get away with this?

Payens told me that you put the printed (crimped) side upwards. Don't think you can argue with that!

David

When I did my apprenticeship, I was told crimped side up.
Done that all my life.

I believe Ian has the right idea in that it makes no difference, although I was told by many experienced mechanics it's crimped side up. Perhaps they were used to more modern engines where the cyl. head could be softer, especially aluminium? Incidentally, John Cornforth is correct in quoting a 1935 H'book (says crimped side down), but most earlier H'books say copper side down. A change of policy, or yet another Handbook error? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Apologies, but left a bit out of above. The May 1936 H'book makes it clear what Austin required. It not only says "beaded edges upwards", but includes a drawing which makes it doubly clear, with similar caption. Probably all academic? Cheers again, Bill in Oz

And to add to the confusion- Austin 7 Handbooks 1400B and 1400D both show 'Replace the Gasket beaded edges downwards'

Tony.

Thanks Tony. I had a memory of a discrepancy, but at the time couldn't locate the two H'books to which you referred. Have now found them, can confirm more confusion. Cheers, Bill

Thanks to all for suggestions.

Need to stock up with "coppaslip" before re-assembly and also investigate the Ruby's leaking radiator drain tap

John

Hello Robin,
In a word no!
Even if it doesn't leek it will let go eventually, get it right now and you won't have to
worry about it later.
J

The moral of all this is that when you tighten the head nuts, it is important that you are actually tightening the head down. There is no use tightening a nut to the recommended torque if it is bottoming on the thread or acting on a bent stud.

If the head has not been checked for loose debris it may decide to deposit it's rusty contents all over the place as you fit it.

Just an observation. Hope it's not just teaching Granny...

As it happens, I am with those who put the gasket crimped side up for the reason given that any damage caused by fretting is easier repaired if found on the head. How relevant this is in reality, I don't know.