Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mounting rear fuel tanks

Hi Rob. In the Ruby the use of rubber washers in the mountings, plus the corrosion of subsequent years means the tank may not be very effectively earthed. The tank sender needs an earth return of course. Fortunately there is another earth return provided by the copper petrol pipe running forwards to the pump on the engine block. If you use a different arrangement (e.g. section of flexible petrol pipe) you might need to fix up a separate earth wire to the tank. Hope this may prevent head scratching !

I wonder if anyone has come up with a stainless underslung tank design, to order..?

John - THANK YOU for mentioning about the earth return. I have some rubber pipe in the system and my tank is midmounted on wood brackets - thus I must do this immediately to see if that corrects my lack of gauge!

Ruairidh Dunford
Ruby fuel tanks are held in place by two "U" bolts facing down the way through the holes in the ends of the chassis extensions, then four "top hat" spacers, two (one for each side) lozenge shaped washers with two holes and a rubber washer to match (this goes between the tank brackets and the lozenge washer) and finally four nuts and washers.

I am fairly certain I saw the complete kit being sold new on Tony Bett's stall in the summer.

In the picture below the washers are incorrectly placed above the top hat spacers.

Hi R,

Thanks for the advert.

I did make a small batch of the brackets, and I think I have 5 pairs left. Like many things they are slow sellers. And I won't be in a hurry to make more.

Thanks Tony

I took the petrol tank off my box recently and snapped one of the U-bolts. For now I have replaced it with a pair of bolts and have been looking for a replacement U-bolt. Does anyone know if the box and Ruby have identically sized U-bolts?
Thanks Richard