Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: chassis number plate/stamp location transition between 1933 and 1935

ok, well perhaps its easier if I just post some more questions.

Did supply of low and high frame chassis run concurrently, or did the (high) Nippy Chassis change slightly after 198596 when (low frame) Ruby production started?

Has anyone got or seen an early Ruby with chassis number stamped onto nearside behind rear engine mounting?

Has anyone got or seen an early Nippy or 65 with the chassis number plate on the chassis rail under the starter motor?

Hi Jon.

We have a very original Nippy in the workshop at the moment with chassis number 2014** clearly stamped into the nearside chassis rail, 3" or 4" behind the rear engine mounting.

Fabulous stuff. About 2000 higher than the first Low frame chassis Ruby.

I wonder what those first sub-200,000 Rubies reveal?

I have the remains of a bare Ruby chassis with 208*** clearly stamped behind the rear nearside engine mount and no rivet holes on the off side.

Steve

My Ruby (registered October 1934) has the chassis number stamped on the chassis to the NS behind the engine mount and had a chassis plate riveted to the NS side panel of the tool box (along with the car body number on a separate plate) within the engine bay, these were riveted on with what looked like factory rivets (not pop). Not sure what it is on my Uncle's car (registered March 1936), will look!

I wonder why the Factory decided to change. It must have been less labour intensive for someone to stamp in six numbers with a hammer & punch than do the same into an aluminium plate and then drill & rivet it to the chassis... perhaps it was done AFTER the chassis was painted.

Usually operational changes on the production line are undertaken to save time & money, not make it more complicated and therefore more expensive.

Steve Jones
I have the remains of a bare Ruby chassis with 208*** clearly stamped behind the rear nearside engine mount and no rivet holes on the off side.

this about mid Dec 1934 manufacture, so the one to beat! I'm presuming Garry's uncle's car will have moved to the new position, perhaps....

Well, I can beat that, my High Frame chassis has the number clearly stamped behind the rear nearside engine mount and is chassis number 216xxx - February 1935.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Austin Sevens and definitive statements never really work... thank goodness

Ruairidh Dunford
Austin Sevens and definitive statements never really work

I would like to state (tentatively) this is definitive!

Ruairidh Dunford
Ruairidh Dunford
Austin Sevens and definitive statements never really work

I would like to state (tentatively) this is definitive!

Actually, on reflection...

Jeff Taylor
Well, I can beat that, my High Frame chassis has the number clearly stamped behind the rear nearside engine mount and is chassis number 216xxx - February 1935.

Jeff.

Hoorah!
Any advance on 216xxx in the old position?
Or figures less than this in the new?!

Just out of curiosity, is there any difference between the high frame cars and the low frame cars that caused the id plate to be moved - perhaps the bulkhead on the later cars covered the n/s chassis rail where the stamping previously was?

Just reading the Grey mag, and found ref to Jim Blacklock's old Arrow recently auctioned.

204522, so earlier than our last "old position" stamping... but has no chassis stamp and a presumed missing chassis plate under the starter. (I wonder if the rivet holes were present?)

It has the narrowed Speedy front outrigger chassis, so extremely unlikely that its another replacement chassis unless one from the factory early on.