Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What have you been up to today?

Fourteen months after beginning, today we put the final lick of paint on the new workshop. Not continuous work and the interior is still to be organised, benches built, shelves, racks and places found for all the tat one collects because it is either too good to throw away or might just come in handy.

Until 2014 this was the National Trust visitor centre at Stowe Landscape Gardens. They built a new one and this was dismantled by a reclamation firm and stored in their yard near Towcester. Offered on eBay I bought it at considerably lower than the material price. The kit included peg roof tiles, plinth bricks, lead soakers, wall panels, insulation, cladding, doors, windows, battens, everything except the floor.

It came without a plan or measurements, nothing had been marked or labelled, I had a photo of the original. After head scratching for a day or two I decided on a new layout, built a cardboard model and then plunged in. The new layout has a 5 x 4m garage and a 13.5 x 5m workshop. The stone has all come out of the dig out and the spoil I managed to loose on site, filling hollows.

There are several more photos on Photobucket and a few here to illustrate. This is the garden side of the workshop, the glass in doors and windows all survived transporting, keys were in the locks

photo DSCN0873.jpg

Down the slope to the garage
 photo DSCN0870.jpg

"Bertie" in winter quarters
 photo DSCN2581.jpg

Interior during construction
 photo DSCN0224.jpg

photo DSCN0189.jpg

This was a part of the three artic truck loads I had bought
 photo DSCN5933.jpg

Stone dug from the excavation and used for retaining walls
 photo DSCN0874.jpg

I am very fortunate to have the space for a building like this and an undemanding partner who has put up with months of inattention. Years of shed-envy are now behind me, I had better get on and do something productive in it!

Glad to see you're getting there with the Ulster Steve and sorry to hear your shoulder isn't mending as fast as the car. Keep up with the physio and you'll get there!

Steve Jones
At the weekend, actually, but after rolling my Ulster at VSCC Loton Park exactly twelve weeks ago and wondering, then, if I would ever get it back up and running again, this is where I've got to. Headlamps and aero screens to fit, new mudguard supports to paint (done this morning) and a last few small fittings to put back on and it's done. If only my shoulder injured during the roll would heal quite as fast.

Steve

Well done, Steve.
You were despondant on the day but, knowing you , I didn't think it would be long before you got it sorted.

Sorry the shoulder isn't right yet but, you were still lucky that was your only injury.
Hope you and Ang. have a great Christmas.

Ian Mc.

Not directly concerned with the car but only the Austin 7 owner. He was in an operating theatre having HoLEP (Laser) treatment on the Willy Ward which means no driving for a couple of weeks.(Well it's your fault for asking!)

Got off diy duties today.Down to Devon to fire up 1949 Daimler Special Sports,last ran in 1980 when it seized.Left for thirty years,when I stripped it down camshaft needed to be driven out with a jack hammer!! Taken ages to find time for rebuild but it fired up instantly (once I realized I was 180 deg. out on the dizzy).Feeling rather pleased,as is the owner.Just a body rebuild to do.

Won the battle of inserting spring snap rings into rear axle halfshaft oil seal cups.It's straightforward thanks to a tip gained from Ron Hayhurst ( using a modified screwdriver to ease the rings into the grooved housings).

Next thing to do for the weekend - fitting the new crown wheel using boiling (nearly)oil!

Bob

Location: St Tudy 50 miles east of Sandy, 4 miles east of Alastair in N Cornwall

More playing with the special

Thanks to a delivery of parts from Willie McKenzie, I've been altering a petrol pipe on my 1931 RN so that it will fit a Zenith 22 FZB instead of the tractor type carb that the car came with.
I've just done a leak test and it seems to be OK.
Tomorrow we'll see if the engine runs with the 'new' carb

G'day. Today we visited the Gt Barrier Reef - amazing.
Off to New Zealand tomorrow and after visiting a number of towns hoping to deliver some headlamp parts to an enthusiast in Auckland.
Regards from Oz.
Stuart

Jim, out of interest, do you attribute the harsher/noiser drive to the HC head?

David,
Yes I think the high compression head does increase the noise level. I've heard this reported before and it has changed the engine note. However the car can now cruise somewhat faster and that of course contributes too.
Overall I'm very pleased indeed with the outcome. The Andes gear makes driving in the hills of The Borders much better and the increased power overcomes the gap between 1st & 2nd gear resulting from the raised 2nd gear ratio.

Lube change on modern to rectify stupid hydraulic cam follower problems re last post.Will be doing similar to Annie at the weekend as she looks a bit jealous.

Finally starting to do some work on my SWB Saloon that's been very much pushed to the back of the queue because of the Ulster re-build following its Loton acrobatics and work on the Trials Chummy to get it ready for the new trials season. First job is to remove the rear axle to cure an oil leak between the banjo and axle halves. Couldn't believe how easily it all came apart. Spring Pin cotters and the Spring Pins themselves simply drifted out with a couple of taps on the brass drift, hubs pulled without any bother to reveal perfect tapers and keyways, brake shoes not covered in oil and with plenty of meat left etc. etc. I've done very little to this car since I bought it in Spring 2013 but every time I do do something, I find the same. It's a credit to David Constantine who restored it from boxes of bits in the early/mid 1990's.

Steve

After being reluctant to start in the storage unit, I drove the Austin to its' new home in council garage only five minutes walk away from here. Now I need to get the movers in to shift the workbench, shelves and contents to the new location.

I haven't driven the Austin for weeks, but it's amazing how it all comes back again.

I made a little oak mounting block and etched up a brass plate to display the tiny bit of Brooklands I borrowed on my recent visit.

Funnily enough I was just reading in an old book I got in the weekend about the 1926 British Grand Prix held there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26jpPRZFLAM

Been trawling through Austin 7 boxes of items that came with my car, found an old lucas distributor and with it a coil which had been painted in thick blue paint, but I did notice that on the bracket which attaches to the car there was a plate with some numbers, it had 11 in large digits and 30 in smaller digits next to it, could this be a date stamp November 1930? My car was registered December 1930 so would seem to tie up?

Or have I put 2 and 2 together and made 3?

Simon Jansen
I made a little oak mounting block and etched up a brass plate to display the tiny bit of Brooklands I borrowed on my recent visit.

Funnily enough I was just reading in an old book I got in the weekend about the 1926 British Grand Prix held there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26jpPRZFLAM

I hope you obtained Scheduled Monument Consent before removing this artifact.

I work in software, this is what we'd call an off-site backup. If the original ever goes missing at least part of it remains!

I did have to declare it to customs when I came back to NZ. They get very twitchy about things like apples and dirt and stones here. We actually have trained fruit sniffing dogs at the airport!

Finally got the original 1929 light shaft coil motor re-installed in the 1929 fabric saloon after a minor rebuild (it had been sitting quite well stored in the second owners garage for 43 years after a replacement 1926 magneto motor had been fitted by the original owner??)
It ran (very nicely) for the first time in 43 years yesterday after cleaning the blocked jets from the Zenith carburettor (which had been used on the replacement motor)
Then I found the missing chassis number with kind assistance from Gaydon.

Tony.

I don't recognise the part in the picture. Can you take a picture of the whole carb?

It looks like a Zenith 24T, as far as I am aware there should simply be a plug in the hole, but others may know better

Sorry hope this helps

Thanks Byan

I don't think anything goes in there except perhaps a gauze filter.

Have a look at:
http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=543341

I think it lets excess fuel drain out.

I've now found this:
http://www.agriline.co.za/tractorparts/series_TE/Zenith%20service%20bulettin.pdf

Ruairidh Dunford
Charles P
It confirmed that I don't like 6 volt electrics. The starter turns very slowly!

Charles,

I have cured this problem by using these excellent batteries:

R

Bought one of these and have now given up and converted to 12 volt.
It starts so much better on 12 volts - 6 volts was a hit and miss.

If anyone wants a barely used 3 month old 6 volt Exide battery, with warranty for a discount I now have one......

Charles

That is a pity, they are good batteries.

I concur.
This is the best battery I've ever had.
Do you thiink there may be a different problem on your car Charles ?

Ian Dunford
I concur.
This is the best battery I've ever had.
Do you thiink there may be a different problem on your car Charles ?

Considered that, changed the starter motor for a known item, rebuilt mag, changed earth etc
My conclusion is that a blown car is not best suited to a 6 volt starter

Chatles

It's been a nice sunny day here in the Midlands which was just as well because I've finally got my RN to run with its refurbished 22FZb Mazak carburettor and refurbished DJ4 distributor.
It took several swings of the handle to start but then it has been standing for several weeks.

Very pleased with the performance which I'm sure will marginally improve with a bit of use.

Started to re-fit the steering column back into the RP after a strip and re-furb. My mod to the thrust button made waggling the box back into place a bit more awkward than it was when removing it, but a little "easing" of the flitch plate sorted things. I've also bought a new brake pedal fulcrum pin to replace the bodge that has been there since time mint imperial and cleaned up the brake actuating rod and adjuster as well as turning a new clevis pin. The drag link is ready to fit with new pins etc so I'm hoping that it'll all be like a new pin once it's all back together.

I also had a quick trip to see the oncologist for a rectal exam (it's something I wouldn't volunteeer for unless you really have to) but thankfully all is OK & hunky dory. That bloody prostitute gland can be a bugger you know...

Took the Tillotson carburettor off the 1938 American Bantam. It was restored about 12 years ago and has been sitting on blocks and under a dust sheet for the last 10 years. Petrol has turned to varnish in the carb, so I have a bit of work to do. Engine will be coming out as there is a broken block stud to fix.

(Not quite sure how this site works - if I have done the wrong thing someone will tell me I hope)

Definately done the wrong thing but also the right one. Wrong leaving the car unused for ten years. Right, getting it back together.
Must admit to being guilty of both with my Sunbeam out of commision for the past 14 years,but currently building a workshop for its rebuild.
My today jobs,cutting dozens of cross joints for the tongue and groove workshop walls.
Best of luck Ivan.

I went to drive my new purchase home. It promptly broke down within sight of the previous owners home!. LOL

Some time ago in this thread Simon Jansen posted some pics of an Austin 20 next to a couple of Sevens, comparing the size. At the time I remembered I had a photo of my Ruby next to my 1936 A 20 Mayfair, parked outside the garage I used to use at the Ship Inn, Wadebridge - a wonderful set-up but not conducive to working on old cars....
I've just found the photo, which was taken in about 1982, and thought the comparison between the cowled rad models might amuse some of you. The 20 is now, I believe, a wedding car in the Bristol area, while the Ruby is sitting outside. The other chassis in the pic is from a 37 Ruby which friend of mine was working on and which he subsequently sold, unfinished - if anyone knows the whereabouts of JT 6523 I'd be interested to hear. Its on the chassis register as ex Bristol club, 2013....
 photo A7 A20_zpsf29ivxoo.jpg

Alastair, waiting for the Easter influx of holidaymakers...

Great photo - the registration JT 6523 isn't on either mycarcheck or DVLA Database, so presumably not finished yet !

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Just fitted two 'Corner Cube Delineators Red' (which are really large 3 1/4" Dia red reflectors) to the rear number plate bracket of the Saloon. (bought from the Road Safety Signs section of a safety materials shop for A$1.50 each)
According to a club member following me to the meeting last night they were very effective!

Tony.

Hi Alastair
Will you be watching the MCC Lands End trial on Friday/Saturday. There are 4 sevens entered.

Adrian Payne
Hi Alastair
Will you be watching the MCC Lands End trial on Friday/Saturday. There are 4 sevens entered.

We are going to Blue Hills, taking the caravan to a site within walking distance of the sections. Then a few days doing emit things, lets hope the weather improves. Its only taken me 2 1/2 hours this evening to turn my car from works van, back into a family car!

Hello Adrian - yes, I'm hoping to be at Blue Hills, assuming my 15-year-old daughter doesn't decide St Agnes is near enough to Truro to merit a shopping trip!
Jeff - thanks for checking. It was on the DVLA site a few years back, which is worrying...

Alastair

I will be giving the modern classic a run down to Blue Hills if my Seven year old Son gets that far without getting bored! If not we will stop at Hoskin! Last time I marshalled there I got sun burnt, so heres hoping...
Steve.

Which corner does your bed go in?

Any one I choose!

Mind you, your son and my daughter with new grandchild may want to snaffle it at some point!

Changed all the oils in my RK for the first time.

Welcome to the forum Tony, good to hear that it all went well, hope see you for the run on Sunday. Might be nice if you post a photo of your car on here, I believe it once belonged to Mac Bonar who was one of the founders of this forum.

Fabulous job Jack - I would have expected no less!

Agreed! What an excellent job...now the shed's nearly finished I can pop around and have a look without the risk of being asked to get my overalls on!

Very well done, not exactly a Kiel Kraft kit (how many of those have I put together over the years?) but as near as ****it and those peg tiles are wonderful.

I'm definitely suffering shed envy now!

After rebuilding the gearbox from my RN after a catastrophic failure, I found some serious problems with the engine.
Engine was refurbished and I'm now fitting it back in the car. The crankcase and block are already in and now I'm fitting the ancillaries.

Well done Brian

Today, as it was dry, I took the Benjaustin on its longest trip to date. A ride to Helperby to see sister and brother-in-law with a late birthday present All of 23 miles each way, a round trip of 46!
A minor problem of one of the carb float chamber screws undoing itself and causing a flooding problem. The thread in the bowl have been overtightened and only one has a grip. New bowl or longer screws needed. I did a temporary roadside fix with a cable-tie which will have to stay until I get a new bowl or a new carb…
I also did a trip into town to go to the dentist so 58 miles total for the day.
Loadsafun!

Excellent Duncan. I've been to work and back in my RL. Mrs Jones' car being in dock for an MOT.

Dark there, dark back. The well oiled clutch bearing behaved, as did the replacement cut out. With the wick turned down on the dynamo we were showing a 5 amp discharge.

Tommorrows job is to make and fit some doors to my new Austin 7 shed built to house the Microplas. Like Jacks it is a second hand and redesigned item. Half of it used to be my garden shed, half of it some woman from Nantwich's shed.

If the wind stays down it might even get the felt.

1 2