Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anybody know the laws on towing dolly's

Ian Bennett
Is there any technical reason from the A7 side of things why it would not be wise to tow using an A frame or dolly. I was thinking about possible damage to the drive train or chassis for instance.

Regards Ian.

I can't see a technical problem tow a A7, but it depends what speed. Remember the rear wheel bearings, diff, prop-shaft, and gearbox mainshaft are all spinning round. If anything did start to fail you wouldn't hear it and damage could be catastrophic.

I was once towing a Vauxhall Chevette like this and at the destination found the gearbox was smashed into a dozen pieces, with oil on the inside of the windows.

Re: Anybody know the laws on towing dolly's

Reckless Rat
Actually Hedd I'm sure that the legislation regarding kerb weight relates to the manufacturers stated figures of the unladen vehicle, with full tank of fuel and any tools such as jack, wheelbrace, spare wheel etc. Loading it up with luggage, passengers and anything else does not alter the LEGAL kerb weight in order to tow a heavier trailer.

Therefore for unbraked trailers (ie dolly plus A7) the towing vehicles unladen weight must be at least twice the weight of the towed trailer and that the trailer,(ie car and dolly) whether laden or not, together must not exceed 750kg.

At the end of the day, safety is what it's all about. Personally I wouldn't tow my A7 on a dolly unless it was absolutely necessary and there was no alternative.

I understand that there is case law that sets the precedent that it is the actual weight as measured at the kerb during the act of towin
There was some issue with a number of different ways various manufacturers defined kerb weight differently