Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steering column outer

Hi all,

I am trying to remove the inner column and worm (BM135) but this is really stuck fast in the outer column (BM131). Someone has lengthened the column of about 5" as well and I imagine this may be obstructing things internally. Cant see how Im going to free it all up enough to actually turn/steer without hiring a bodybuilder.. so have decided to pull it all apart and start again.

I do however really want to save the heavy brass bit on the end that screws into the steering box (BM24). As far as I can see the outer column is forced into the blind brass end piece and brazed in? It looks like a real challenge to get it off without damaging it irreparably...

Any ideas how to do it, or sources of a new brass bit?

Cheers!

Re: Steering column outer

matthew where abouts are you, Australia is a big place?
Do I understand that you have already removed both the outer column BM131 and the inner column BM135, but are unable to separate them?
There is the possibility that the 5" extension is screwed and or tack welded to the top of BM135 and that it is a larger diameter, and too big to pass through the bottom bush BM22 in the outer column. Extra force maybe needed to push out the bush as well. I expect the inner column would have to slide some distance before striking the bottom bush in the outer column. Is this what is occurring? Pictures would help.
Removal of worm from shaft is difficult and should never be necessary, ditto for the brass thread. If you are within 100 klm of Brisbane I can come and have a look, or recommend someone nearer, cheers Russell

Hi Mathew,

The large brass threaded end that screws into the steering box casting is usually soft soldered onto the outer tube. If you hold the tube in the vice and heat the brass end you should be able to pull it off the tube once its hot enough.

As suggested earlier it may be that whoever lengthened the tube has the inner tube too large to go through the brass fitting, if that's the case once you get the brass end piece off you may be able then to pull the inner out and then deal with it from there.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks guys for the responses.

Im 2hrs out of Melbourne. Lots of expertise at the club here but just need to find time from busy family life to get in there!

I think it is the extension that is causing the problems. Im not too concerned about reusing the shafts as will weld on extra bits anyway. I will try heating the brass end piece and see if I cant "persuade" it to come off.

Cheers,

Matthew

So we won't see you at the Christmas Pudding Night !
Excellent evening to finish the year (and spares close tonight until 3rd February 2016).

Tony.