Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Typical Austin day

For those who don't know manor road - it was a garage now converted to flats, but a requirement of the planning permission was to keep the facade

See pic of the petrol pumps

If you look carefully at the photo on one of the first pages of the book 'Original Austin 7' by Rinsey Mills, you'll see a profile of my Grey Ruby taken at the same location over 20 years ago when it was a real garage of sorts run by a reclusive sort of man. I think there's mention of the garage on other threads maybe on this site but certainly Steam Traction ones in connection with some of the great Traction Engine Finds of the last century. An amazing story I think the owner's name was Mr Lilleywhite.

How wonderful.
A planning department run by civilised human beings.

What a fabulous garage! I'm so glad it's been listed.
At the pub across the road there is this remnant which is now no longer used but I do remember buying petrol for my Norton Dommie in 1969 long before we moved to the village.
The original globe which was circular was stolen a few years back but I managed to find a Not for Retail replacement and a pal did the cut-out logo in vinyl.

My Austin day was spoiled by a major oil-loss, the tappet cover blew the gasket out and there is a sign of the felt seal appearing behind the fan pulley. Doh!
It was such a nice afternoon that I had to go for a spin. I fear major work looms!