Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Supaloy water outlet. Where can I source one?

I have a Supaloy head I an toying with using and need an outlet manifold. Is it still possible to source these or do I need to use the same manifold as used on the inlet to the block.

Also will there be any need to reshape the chamber?

Re: Supaloy water outlet. Where can I source one?

Many years ago I have the same problem. I purchased a new inlet manifold (no metallic contamination) and cut off the outlet, turned it and rewelded it back on in the correct plain

Duncan,

There's quite a few heads around but the outlet manifolds are harder to find. Derek's suggestion is a good one, try some of the suppliers who deal in second hand stuff or keep an eye on Ebay - Supaloy and Speedex manifolds do occasionally come up.

Dave

I looked into this one 5 years ago.

John Barlow may have made them over the years. But I don't think he has produced them for at least the last 10 years. Probably because the call for them is not enough.

As far as I know nobody else does them.

I handed one to a casting company I use 5 years ago. But pattern costs were £600. Investment cast £14 per item to order 50. And machineing cost of £4 each.

That's a lay out of £1,500

They would need to sell for £30 each, just to get my money back. And that's without making a profit for the company.

I don't think people would pay as much as £40 each. So I never bothered.

So yes the correct manifolds are quite scarce, although if you can't aluminium weld yourself it would probably cost £40 to buy a standard manifold and pay a company to cut and weld it for you.

Tony.

I bought a Speedex head recently without the special manifold. I opened up the holes in the head with drill and files,made an aluminium blanking plate with a home made cork gasket. The blanking plate has a hole in it which mates with a low comp water inlet manifold. Front tapping in the head holds down the manifold and blanking plate and the rear tapping holds down the blanking plate only. I have done a few hundred miles with this set up and it is working fine.
Dave.

Location: Sheffield, City of Steel (Sorry, now City of Call Centres)

photo IMG_0003_zpswrzzcoom.jpg
Duncan,
This picture may help my explanation. Blanking plate with 3 screws,not 2 as I said earlier. The manifold on the left is a standard low comp type.
Dave.

Thanks all for your responses. I have a few options to toy with.

A friend needed one so had a couple cast a few years back, I still have one left un-machined that I may be willing to let go to a good cause.

also just noticed that Tony has one complete with a head on the County Sevens website.

Ian Williams
A friend needed one so had a couple cast a few years back, I still have one left un-machined that I may be willing to let go to a good cause.

A man with a good set of patterns will never be short of friends....