Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
More on Sumps

Following on from the earlier discussion (see Seagreen sumps), a friend asked me why the Ulster engine didn't have deep sumps as did the later sports - 65, Nippy, Speedy. The only difference from standard I recalled before was the hole and cover for the filter in the otherwise-ordinary tin sump. So on the premise of "if all else fails, read the instructions", I looked up my notes and found what may be of interest to others: I haven't recorded the details of a 9C Ulster crankcase (stupid me), but a 9E unblown casting (incidentally with no "M" prefix before the c/case number) had a deeper crankcase below the chassis ledge! - (again stupid me for not remembering). Incidentally, the dipstick hole and its bulge was located in a different, higher place compared to a standard c/case (brings to mind the previous discussion on dipsticks,so this must have needed a different rod from standard?). The area below the chassis ledge varies in depth from 1 3/4" (std. = 1/4" below the front bearing housing)) to 5 1/8" just ahead of the rear engine mount (std. = 3 3/4"), plus at the rear (below the bell-housing), there's 1 3/16" compared to nil on a standard c/case. Thus perhaps an ordinary tin sump was enough? Cheers, Bill in Oz