Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Phoenix crank and crankshaft pinion

I've been rebuilding an engine in the last few days (standard crankshaft), and I had to take a few thou off the side of the (new)key, so it could be a batch of slightly oversize keys.

I have always 'fitted' keys, I assumed it was common practice to adjust them to a nice snug fit.

David Cochrane explained to me about the rear crankshaft nut.
The standard thread would be one of Austin's 'Admiralty' threads and David specifies that for shafts he buys.
However Phoenix tend to use standard Whitworth by default in which case the Phoenix nut is needed.

Dave Wheatley
.....so it could be a batch of slightly oversize keys.

No, it's normal for keys such as these to be specified to the same size as the keyway and therefore needing a small degree of 'fitting'. The alternative is the risk of the key being a touch undersize and that would be no good at all would it? Remember, the manufacturer of the keys is not likely to be the manufacturer of the keyway.

Steve

Steve Jones
Dave Wheatley
.....so it could be a batch of slightly oversize keys.

No, it's normal for keys such as these to be specified to the same size as the keyway and therefore needing a small degree of 'fitting'. The alternative is the risk of the key being a touch undersize and that would be no good at all would it? Remember, the manufacturer of the keys is not likely to be the manufacturer of the keyway.

Steve

Yes quite right Steve and R. I wasn't very clear. The key I had "in stock" came from one of Fathers tins of keys, so I wasn't certain it was the correct one, hence I ordered one. They are far better ground to size, so they fit properly.

Thanks again for the advice. Yes I have the correct nut and lock washer supplied with the Phoenix crank. I do however take on board the trimming of the key to fit the new crank. The previous strip down and rebuild I did on a seven engine used the same crank and key etc so all went together without having to make the key fit.