Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bolt or Rivet.

Hi, when i built my Ulster in 1981-86 i just used tha ex-scrapyard '29 chassis as it came (+some paint), it seemed straight and solid, and was riveted (probably the originals), It was fine, for 10s of thousands of miles, and then one day Isabel had a monumental accident, opening lap of A7 race at Mallory. As part of the rebuild after the crash i got Julian Ghosh to straighten it all out, fit a new front crossmember (this had been previously damaged on a Land's End Trial) and re rivet (hot) the whole chassis back together properly. When i recieved the frame back it had a stiffness that was never there before, like a tuning fork. The car was transformed, it felt alive on the road, had better handling and rode better. I think the tight springy chassis puts the handling emphasis back on the suspension.
Since then the Ulser has trialled, raced, holidayed and became a saloon for a while, when as a trials car it still had a certain litheness. Then it snogged a Nissan Navarra front bumper. The car was stripped and rebuilt, evolving my ulster bits out of it (bent again) and was rebuilt onto a partially bolted chassis. It now feels floppy in comparison, it has little torsional rigidity. When jacked up on one side the doors jam and it twists a great deal. The Ulster chassis is with Julian again!
Hot riveting is not difficult, especially if you have a helper. If bolting was the answer Austin would have bolted it. An alternative to traditional hot riveting may be to cold rivet it using a hydraulic press. Make a pair of steel 'snaps' and manhandle it about......
Good luck, W

Thank you all for your replies, it gives me some feedback from realists not theorists.

It is remarkable that a difference between bolts and rivets is detectable, esp if no obvious fretting of the bolts.

Fitted bolts in reamed holes very different from basic clamping.

I guess hot rivets accommodated slight offset of holes. Presumably in small diameter an interference lateral fit remains after cooling, or were they finally finished cold?