Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OOOh Matron! I've got a hard one...

Steve,

Please could you give us some more information on your soft green gripper brake linings?

Yes please Steve.Which ones.
What's the opinion on bowdenex cables,any good or not.
I have bought a special with these cables on the front and linings laced with bronze? wire and cast iron drums,but the brakes are spongy and pretty poor even after some work setting them up.
Could it be the new linings (all round),Bowdenex cables or the front brake linings too hard?
Any ideas please.

Bryan Downes
Steve,

Please could you give us some more information on your soft green gripper brake linings?

Yes I was curious about that too. Please enlighten us Steve

They look very similar to the woven ones I bought from David Cochrane, apart from the colour. Mine are Khaki.

I think they are khaki, sort of Bruce. The photo exaggerates the colour perhaps? Woven type green/khaki material with interwoven wire strands. Quite soft and does wear faster than the grey material but that's of little relevance to most of us, I think, when what we are really after is good brakes. From what Bruce told me last night, I suspect the linings he has from David Cochrane are, probably, the same or similar stuff.

However, put 'Green Gripper Brake Linings' into Google and all the information's there. A common material that is known and available from most brake re-lining companies. I use Saftek because they are reasonably local but most places have somewhere similar nearby.

Not the best photo but a Girling shoe re-lined at Saftek on Monday with GG.

Steve

Regarding Austin-I-t-s problem with bowdenex brakes,one cause I found is flexing where the rectangular steel bits hang down from the chassis crossmember to receive the outer ends of the cable.These need to be really robust and well fixed to the chassis.