Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Early coil engine nosecone length

Didn't John Barlow use to supply new early nose cones?

Rick

Not sure why all this about RN and RP nose-pieces , the question was about early coil engines, wasn't it? Over the years I measured about 8, and they all varied slightly. Sometimes you can get a good guide by signs of a "join" in the casting of a Ruby-type one, indicating where the pattern was extended from the earlier types, so that's where you shorten it. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill Sheehan
Not sure why all this about RN and RP nose-pieces , the question was about early coil engines, wasn't it?

Early can mean a lot of things to lots of people Bill - David currently has a 3 bearing engine fitted and it going to replace it for a 2 bearing (so he says in his OP), I took this to mean an "earlier" two bearing version of the 3 bearing one - hence posting the info about the various lengths.

David, can you help clear this up so we can advise you more accurately - what is the engine number of the crankcase you are hoping to fit?

Hi Bill, Ruairidh et al,

Thanks everyone for the answers the forum working brilliantly again. This is a special but the engine to be fitted is the 2-bearing version of the 3 with rubber engine mounts etc. from all the info I am going for the RP length (6 1/2 - 1A559) version as I am running a 4 speed gearbox.

David

David
the engine to be fitted is the 2-bearing version of the 3 with rubber engine mounts etc. from all the info I am going for the RP length (6 1/2 - 1A559) version as I am running a 4 speed gearbox.

That's the one

Derek's suggestion is still the place to start though - I speak from bitter experience!

I have a Nov 1930 RL saloon. Father has a March 30 AE tourer.

Both have the same crankcase early coil crankcase, same 3 speed box too. The saloon has the tall rad, the tourer the shorter one.

When I got the engine out of the tourer to fit into my saloon the nosecone was the wrong length, yet it was the correct length for the tourer.

I have a feeling the one on the tourer was shorter.

Neither car has ever had a 4 speed box in them, and there are only one set of engine mounting holes in the chassis

The tourer had the type with a thick cranking shaft with the stupid dog on the end and the brass nut.

The saloon had the thinner cranking shaft, a protrusion on the handle and a pin type dog.

I think there are more lengths than is obvious.