Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Putting the camshaft back into the crankcase.

Hello John,
I've just done this.
I too found the grease/ elastic band no use.
In the end, I stuck the rollers on with grease, and then tied some strong cotton thread tightly around the rollers. cut thread off when inserted.
Piece of cake!

Sorry, but I always use a rubber band, no grease. Never had much of a problem.

FWIW I put vaseline in the fridge overnight as it helps to make it really sticky. With camshaft vertical it will hold rollers in position whilst fine wire is tied around them before fitting. The wire can be cut and removed afterwards

At the risk of sounding like a spokesman for the Marie Stopes Clinic, I'm a grease and no rubber band man!

It figures

Worryingly, I'm in the same camp as Garner

I have an old tin of very thick Shell grease that is only one step back from wax and that is reserved for this job - it's much too thick for any other purpose. Seveners relatively local and who know of its existence have been known to call round to cadge a 'lump' when they are fitting camshafts.

Steve

I have a small jar of very stiff grease which came out of an old hub bearing. It is simple to 'glue' the rollers onto the cam with this grease as long as you don't let the warmth of your fingers soften it. I doubt I would have the patience to faff about with cotton or a rubber band! Normal grease is no good, you need the stiff stuff that is like soft toffee.

Thanks to all for the advice. I have now realised that my attempts with normal GP grease is no good. Also grease and rubber bands do not go together the grease makes them slip off the rollers very easily indeed. I will now start again with a dry rubber and rollers and if that does not work for me I will try stiff grease or dam near frozen Vaseline. Just one think to ponder on is do I fit the camshaft pinion before of after fitting the camshaft.

John Mason

It is essential that there is no excessive end play in the camshaft. I would fit the front bush and gear, ensuring correct clearance, I think this is about 3 thou from memory, then fit it to the crankcase.

Dry rollers, fit them into the grove in the cam on the bench with 2 x small rubber bands. Lift the bands for each roller until they are all in. careful slip the cam into the crank case not dislodging the bands. Make sure the Rear bearing is properly aligned. push it home, the bands will just push off the rollers as it slips into position. cut rubber bands free with scissors.

The first time I did it I used narrow strips of gaffer tape, but that was much more fiddly. Having had the cam in and out of the engine I am just finishing several times (don't ask!) the rubber band method seems the easiest to me.

Once youve managed it. then try with the block and tappets still in.

Success. Once again thanks to all. First I tried the dry rollers and rubber band method but the band I had was too big and doubled over it was too tight. I then moved on to the chilled Vaseline method. Bingo in first time with no messing about . So easy I spent a few minutes just checking that they had all gone in I could not believe it. It also was easy to get the timing marks aligned without loosing any rollers.
What a difference to yesterday when I spent one and a half hours doing exactly the same using general purpose grease and getting knowhere other than almost throwing the whole camshaft at the wall.

A much more relaxed John Mason.

That's what the forum is all about. Somewhere out there, possibly at the other side of the world, will be someone who has had the same problem.
We don't want you throwing any Austin parts at the garage wall! I have been known to threaten my car with a large lump hammer in true Basil Fawlty style. Since going on the medication I am much calmer!