Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SU carbs

Renaud, I can't see the ads using Firefox, but I can see them using Internet Explorer!

Strange to relate chaps, I can see all the 21 Ads both using Firefox 43.0.4 and Internet Explorer 8.

Ian Mc.

Ian McGowan
Strange to relate chaps, I can see all the 21 Ads both using Firefox 43.0.4 and Internet Explorer 8.

Ian Mc.

Dave & Ian,
More confusion:
I CAN see them using IE 11 but NOT with Firefox 43.0.4 ...
Thanks anyway (and sorry for disrupting this thread)

Re: SU carbsfurther

Down draught SUs do seem to be relatively uncommon.It may be of use to know that apart from the fairly large ones fitted to Rovers they were also fitted to Singers,10hp 1936-46 and 9hp 1939-?.I am currently rebuilding a 11/8 specimen of unknown origin[Dremel,epoxy,brass pins].John Barlow has provided a D/D manifold and flanges to turn the thing through 90 degrees.As its on my track car choke operation will be under the bonnet an easy cop-out.Throttle by cable.The question ;is it worth it? Anecdotally they do go well,I used one on a previous special but never really pushed it.Bill Wiiliams recommends them in his book,which incidentally I love,but as usual there is no reason given.Mind you he also advocates twin SU s for the ultimate in performance but most experts I have spoken to say they are a waste of time....but I have a pair of OM 1" off a J2 MG in my box of bits and the temptation is hard to resist.My second question ; why not?

I seem to recall that when car makers in the 1930's started fitting downdraught carbs to their side valve engines, it was always advertised that this resulted in more power than previously. I suppose they would say that wouldn't they?
I like the D/D SU for its accessibility, (less bending of the back), and the float chamber is away from the heat of the exhaust manifold.

I seem to recall that when car makers in the 1930's started fitting downdraught carbs to their side valve engines, it was always advertised that this resulted in more power than previously. I suppose they would say that wouldn't they?
I like the D/D SU for its accessibility, (less bending of the back), and the float chamber is away from the heat of the exhaust manifold.

I like the notion of a cooler float chamber,hence I plan to use 30degree floats and 6inch inlet stubs.Any objective evidence for lagging exhaust pipe,in the same vein?