Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Binding Springs

Just done my rear springs in Denso tape, they look good

Woe betide if water should get in. I did mine years ago when I had the springs off, cleaned, greased and Denso taped them. A few years later I broke a front spring leaf, stripped it down to find a mass of rust. Since when I leave my springs naked and coated in old back axle oil.

because it locates the axle, a failed rear main leaf on a Seven can be serious. Springs often develop fairly obvious cracks long before failure. An advantage of open springs is that can inspect.

When the family RN saloon was put on the road in 1990 we had wrapped the rear springs in Denso tape followed by the waterproof Denso outer tape. Eight years later the offside one snapped through the main leaf and second leaf.
We had been off roading with Dave Mann the previous week in Derbyshire and returned home safely. A few days later I went in the garage and noticed a list to starboard, gave the body a few shakes and the spring collapsed. The tape had basically held it together for the 275 mile journey home.
They look like they have been in the harbour and as Dave says never again. Dismantle and grease new springs, then liberal doses of slideway oil regularly.

Broken RN rear spring

Broken RN rear spring 2.

I have a different opinion alltogether.

I wouldn't tape my springs simply because you cannot see if you have broken one. Not good of the main leaf on the rear goes....

Remember your MOT man wont be able to see your broken leaf either, I know some of you put great faith in 3rd party inspection.

I also do not lubricate. I believe any form of lubrication results in grinding paste. Truthfully it is experience that tells me this, I have a trailer dating from the 1920's that do not look to have been lubricated (or replaced), but show a little wear. I have another trailer, a 1950's build that had grease (actually better described as course grinding paste) visoible between the leaves when I took them appart. The leaves are 2/3 worn through.