Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bedding brake linings

Hi Bob. It worked for me. I have successfully used sandpaper in this way, saving many miles of bedding in on the road. I used separate sandpaper (actually aluminium oxide) and thin double sided adhesive tape. For more details see my article "Bedding in new brake shoes" on the technical pages of the Dorset A7C website.

Sevens now often do low mileage, and now seldom brake for slower traffic ahead, so bedding is a problem. Can also check with chalk on drum.

I found with Girling brakes that, for reasons uncertain, considerable fitting of the shoe ends was necessary to get reasonable contact. Ideally needed building up with weld.

Beware NOS linings with asbestos

Some time ago a there was a post about a radial arm device for contouring shoes; may be of interest. Someone may have a reference to.

Thanks John - that is the type of thing I had in mind. I have uncoupled brakes and am struggling with the fronts to get them even and not jamming on full lock. New linings, rebuilt shoes, new cams, new cast drums. I do very few road miles outside of trialling and don't want to drive around with the handbrake on forever! I need a good handbrake for stop/restarts on the trials.
I reckon if I can bed them down nice and evenly by your method then my problems will be over - well maybe!

Just reporting back in again...........I used the John Cornworth method exactly as described. Superb results! Achieved good even bedding after finding that I needed just the slightest more shimming on one shoe, which I previously thought was spot-on.
Hardest bit was cleaning the tape off the drum afterwards!
Thanks John.