Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unexpected LED headlight problem!

Would Rainex Help?

I've been wondering about that
I Rainexed the windscreen and the snow had stuck to that, but it was a while ago & probably needs re-doing.
I'll give it a go and see if it works if more snow comes.

I believe the highways authorities experienced this problem when traffic lights started using LEDs. I think they overcame it by fitting heaters.

Reckless Rat
Just a by-product of the change over to LEDs I'm afraid. They give off very little heat compared to incandescent bulbs.

Although this is a popular belief it is not quite true. At 100W an incandescent gives off 2W of light 98W of heat. A couple of years ago good quality LEDs gave 6W of light and 94W of heat, increasing to 8W of light and 92W of heat this year. It is because you can run them at 33 and 25% respectively to obtain the same light output as a halogen that the heat output is so reduced. It is worth noting that while a halogen gives off more light the hotter it runs, an LED does the opposite as well as reducing its' 1/2 life light output. Sorry for being so nerdy but it's how I earn my crust these days.

Useful info. Frank. Thank You.

Ian Mc.

I thought the job of a passenger is to get out occasionally and clean the lenses.

Shuttle
I believe the highways authorities experienced this problem when traffic lights started using LEDs. I think they overcame it by fitting heaters.

so that's progress?! We're doomed...
Interesting that my general findings are that bulb life for new eco things in household use is far less than old tungsten ones used to last. Just been reading up on LED workshop lamps and I note a lot of the feedback on Amazon purchases is that they last less long than they say they should.

I suppose its early days... anyone got any thoughts?

Ian McGowan

Ian Mc.

Ian, if you are ever having trouble getting to sleep just ask me a question about LED lumen output, colour rendition index or the black body line.

Frank Hernandez
Ian McGowan

Ian Mc.

Ian, if you are ever having trouble getting to sleep just ask me a question about LED lumen output, colour rendition index or the black body line.

Frank, await my call LOL.

Ian Mc.

I used to enjoy driving my Seven in the snow-great fun, unfortunately the authorities pollute the environment with thousands of tons of salt for the benefit of the modern cars and I won't drive my Seven if the roads have been salted.

JonE
Shuttle

so that's progress?! We're doomed...
Interesting that my general findings are that bulb life for new eco things in household use is far less than old tungsten ones used to last. Just been reading up on LED workshop lamps and I note a lot of the feedback on Amazon purchases is that they last less long than they say they should.

I suppose its early days... anyone got any thoughts?

Might be true of compact fluorescents and very true of the 12V replacements. There is one good quality replacement for the 50mm 12V halogen made by Soraa in the US. It is expensive and give around 600 lumens. Bear in mind that a 50W 240V halogen downlight gives about 330 lumens and a 12V 50W gives about 950 lumens.
A good quality 50mm LED downlighter fitting that comes with say a Citizen chip will last for years and the driver( tranformer that has varible voltage but gives a fixed current that a LED needs) will give way first. You can easly get 1500-2000 lumens from such a fitting. I have used this make where I work for three years now and never had one fail.

It is interesting to read these comments on LEDs, but I understand they throw a light straight out front and are therefore great for being seen, but less useful for seeing the road ahead. Is there an LED, or alternative, that will use the reflector in our type of headlamps to throw a beam into the road with which to see.

I currently have halogen bulbs in one of my cars which throw a sort of beam, but when you switch to high beam the shape of the lit area changes, but the road is not better lit. Also they draw as much current as traditional bulbs.

Is there an answer or do we need to wait for LED technology to develop further?

The LED headlight bulbs I have are cylindrical. There are LEDs on the front which throw light forward as you describe but also LEDS all round the cylinder. These throw light onto the reflector and hence illumnate the road ahead.
The reflector is parabolic which means they form a beam best with a point source of light ie a filament. As the LEDs are not at one point the beam is rather diffuse.
The light emitted is very white. It's interesting to see that the headlight of cars approaching cars look very yellow and dim.
I also have LED bulbs in the sidelight in the reflector. These make excellent daylight running lights.

I mentioned your problem to a friend with a Beetle.
He tells me that his MOT man said he shouldn't really pass the car with LED headlamps if they don't have wipers.

The wiper requirement is for modern vehicles fitted with HUD (Xenon) headlamps.

My modern MINI has LED headlights with no washer or wiper.
My previous MINI had Xenon HID headlights with washer only.

I actually preferred the Xenon headlights, but sadly they are no longer an option. I suspect your MOT man was talking out of his behind.

Peter