Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fitting 3 bearing crankshaft

I am not sure about item no.5.
I think the inner race should go on first, and then the oil thrower.
The oil thrower should be between the inner race and the flywheel.
The thrower should have compressible dimples on it so that it is gripped by the flywheel.
If you are fitting new front bearings, remember that the 3 bearing crankcase was made to suit the narrow type, which are not available now (AFAIK).
I will be pleased to be corrected on this.

Dave you are correct in that the oil thrower must be fitted twixt rear main and flywheel. The dimples will have been flattened during previous fitting but they are available new from the usual suspects complete with dimples! (The oil thrower that is)

I believe Willie mackenzie can supply 'narrow' front A/C mains

Many thanks for the replies!

I shall look at the main journals.

The bearings were not easy to remove so I will go the heat way. I can get the crankcase in the oven & heat gently & evenly...while wife is at work, of course!

As for the oil thrower...I will have a good look at where it should go. Before the rear bearing , when I took the c/shaft out, but maybe a PO had put it in wrongly.
I will be re-using the front bearings, they are OK. I needed new rears.

Still wondering at what stage to put centre mains in...Woodrow seems to suggest that they go in after the rears & before the fronts.

I've just fitted a two bearing crank and used a hot air gun to heat the crankcase - didn't think the missus would approve of using the oven.

Well the rear bearing is in...with oil thrower in the correct place, between inner race and the flywheel (when it goes back on)

I will fit the centre bearing next...while there is still a bit of lateral movement in the crank, then front bearings

So, many thanks to all

regards

Chris

A final question. ..I hope

which way round should the oil thrower be fitted
concave face to the rear or facing forward?

thanks
Chris

Dished/concave face to the flywheel

Very many thanks David!

Chris