Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Beatrice Canning Brown

Beatrice Canning Brown, sadly past away at the end of last week in Carlisle, Cumbria.Author of the Definitive History of the Racing Seven (Austin Seven Competition History 1922 - 1939). Thanks to Mark Milne for the report via FB. RIP Beatrice.

Re: Beatrice Canning Brown

That's such sad news.

Yes. Very sad news.
Beatrice was a lovely and quite remarkable person.
I just wonder what will happen to the archive material she accumulated over the years, overflowing from the shelves in her little house. It would be both a crime and a great loss to the Austin community if it were destroyed.
I know that Beatrice had drawn up a draft copy of "The Competition of the Austin Seven in Australia and other British Empire states." together with photos, which she thought of as an addendum supplement to her book.

If anyone has any further information on the above please contact the Association Archive Team through myself.
Many thanks
Chris

Very sad news, Beatrice was such a passionate and authoritative person, not just about Sevens, but, on many diverse subjects; theology, steam trains, string theory, nuclear physics.
Indeed, she was one of the first allied scientists to enter Hiroshima after the Japanese surrender in the summer of 1945

But most of all, she was possessed of a very kind and generous spirit.

Does anyone have details of when the funeral will take place?

Regards, Mark.

I regret to inform you that I understand it was today Mark.

Beatrice was someone who will be sadly missed, particularly in the Austin 7 world. But scientist? Beatrice said she was only an electronic tech. At the end of WW2 in Singapore she helped remove POWs from Changi & Serenbam, where they made the surrendered Japs clean up the cells etc. It was only later that she became involved with Dr.Bronowski & went up to Japan to look at the results of the A bomb. So perhaps she wasn't one of the first to be there? They were there for about 3 months,where she said it was her job to carry the bags & be facto for him. (She did later join the Scientific Service). If you're wondering about her Austin 7 interests, she bought her first 7 with her war gratuity, paying 30 quid (sorry, no Pound sign on my computer). She then bought a series of sporting Sevens including a G.E.Brooklands which was totally rotten, then an Ulster with a Ford engine, finally giving up open cars when the doctor told her to buy saloons due to serious rheumatic and osteo conditions. I'd suggest Beatrice will be favourably remembered for some time. Cheers, Bill in Oz

I only came to know Beatrice in the last 4 years, when she absolutely exploded into our world. Very late on a week day evening my wife answered the telephone, hand over the mouth piece, after she had listened to the caller for a few moments, Helen explained to me that the very strange sounding woman now on the line wanted to speak to me about one of my cars, taking the phone Beatrice immediately demanded, 'what are you doing about Slippery Anne?'

This then was the start of many evening time conversations with Beatrice, I had indeed for some time being seeking information about Slippery Anne, Beatrice had heard of my quest and tracked me down, fully intent on helping me in any way she could. For someone so old and with failing health, Beatrice was a whirlwind of energy and determination, she often left me quite a little confused about her history and clearly had areas of her life she did not wish to discus, but she has left me with several vivid and fond memories:

My first visit to her home left me with many impressions: Beatrice stooped but impressively tall, her diminutive house, her tiny but appalling snappy dog, thousands and thousands of sheets of paper, books and a confusion of photographs and drawings. I also remember her delight at my modern car, its engine, superchargers and huge tyres all fascinated her interest. Indeed I took her out to lunch in it and can see her now trying bend her body to get into it! Then there were the letters and pictures, the reproduction of photographs produced on her strange old printer, often of horrid quality, usually with reams of notes and sketches to support her words.

Beatrice was determined to see my car finished, alas this was not to be. However, when it is finally is, it will owe a debt to her.

Regards,
Mark.

Chris - To answer your question re disposal of Beatrice's material, with at least the aforementioned Australian Addendum, I'd suggest you contact Edward Way. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Very sorry to here this news. Beatrice made us most welcome when we called in with the trophy for writting her book. She produce tea and cake and entertained with "have a look at which ever year you like" indicating bulging folders of research and material. Sadly missed

A year has passed since the death of this remarkable lady. Has anything been written about her? Was there an obituary that I missed?

I am not certain but I think there may have been an obituary in the "Automobile".

Regards,

Stuart