Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tyre manufacture, just personal preference?

If you were looking for 400x17s Howard Annett supplies them to Tony Betts and Tony Lesley at a very good price

After 50+ years of Avons (SM & sidecar triple duty) with a lot supplied by Longstones which gave excellent service. 3 years ago I tried a set of Longstones on one of our RNs and found the rear end wallowed round corners so I phoned Longstones for their advice, they said start at 30 PSI and to forget Austin's recommended tyre pressure. I eventually ended up at 35 PSI which improved but didn't cure things, so I swapped them onto another car with similar results and finally ended up with two cars with Longstones on the front and Avons on the rear. I then started to see what other cars were fitted with and found quite a few with Longstones on the front and Avons on the rear. They seem to wear well and are easy to fit, with my plates of meat I usually have difficulty getting the inner tube valve into it's hole not so with these tyres.

I'm a fan of Blockley 19 x 3.50, they are a bit softer and grippier but probably don't last as many miles, no problem if you're not a high mileage driver.

A recent problem with a set of five new Avon tyres- there was a small foil label inside at least two tyres and when using softish 'chinese'? tubes the end of the label lifted and ate its way into the tube causing a puncture.

I am waiting for the other three to collapse

Tony.

Re: Cheaper Tyes

I understand that motorcycle tyres can be used on Austin 7s as this would keep the cost down.as I see it if the profile is flat there should not be a problem.I saw a set on Amazon last summer at £120 ,wish I had got them then.Lets save money

Avon Triple Duty Sidecar 3.50 x 19TT - nice flat tread- fitted to all my 1928/9 Seven's.

Tony.

John, if they have a flat profile, I don't think they're motorcycle tyres.

When, as an ignorant teenager, I put my first Seven on the road I made the big mistake of using motorcycle tyres as an "economy" measure. In ordinary use they were worn out in about 3 months.

It's been Avon Sidecars ever since.

Many thanks Toni.We talk the same talk. I am just completing rebuilding the front axle so a good bit of money has gone into it.I have had the wheels powder coated as well.
Cheers John

Thanks for that Martin,I am on it.
Cheers John