Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DVLA - Recent experiences?

The DVLA New Rules thread has rumbled on for nearly nine months and 500 posts and yet I for one am none the wiser.

There seems to be a remarkable lack of any first-hand reports of recent dealings with DVLA.

Surely there must be members of this Forum who have dealt with DVLA since June, even if only to notify a change of colour?

Please, let's have some reports of personal experiences, keeping to hard facts and avoiding anecdotal information, rumours, guesses and opinions. We really need to build up a picture of what is actually happening.

Re: DVLA - Recent experiences?

Martin,
That is an excellent idea,especially excluding rumours but sticking to facts.
Dave.

This is my recent experience so hope it is useful (if this is deemed unhelpful let me know and I'll remove the post):

A couple of years ago I purchased a Ruby rolling chassis and engine with chassis I.D. plate and reg plates.
I sent off for a v5 and received it in due course (with standard engine size mistake: 850cc instead of 747cc).

My aim is to build a special body keeping everything else standard to get used to it before looking at doing anything beyond that.

To this end I rang the DVLA to confirm if this is still possible and how to do so and they responded with the following:

-Take pictures of the chassis and I.D. as it is currently.
-Build and mount body as desired and take pictures showing the I.D. still in place.
-Update v5 (body style, colour, sears, etc.)and send this to DVLA and a new v5 should be returned in due course.

They did say that this is the current situation and policies may change in the future, so contact them directly to confirm current policy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
David

David,

That looks useful. It would help to add the date that you rang the DVLA for confirmation.

I recently bought a 1972 Citroen SM which has a mistake in the chassis number on the V5C. The first digit is 6 instead of 0 and for some unknown reason the characters SZ have been appended. Otherwise all correct.

I phoned DVLA who said, no problem, enter it in the changes section and send a rubbing of the chassis number and a photograph. Should get a new V5C in 2-4 weeks.

After 5 weeks I phoned and was told by a helpful man that a 'case had been raised' and that it would be looked into. That was a week ago, I'll phone again if no response in the next week.

The MoT procedure changed recently and the login process requires that the chassis number/VIN from the car be entered. Either all of it or the last 6 characters. This then gives the car details. Previously the Registration number was all that was needed. I suspect this is throwing up a lot of anomalies that before were not noticed. They are probably busy!
My friendly MoT garage lets me play with chassis numbers on his computer. The system recognises the number on the V5C and returns the correct details but not that on the car.

David W - Thanks, that sounds encouraging, but as David R-E asks, when was the most recent contact? How does the current V5 describe your car?

Jim - it will be interesting to learn how your situation develops - please keep the news coming. We had a similar problem with my son's A35 where the VIN prefix "A2S4" had been written in the original 1958 log book as "A254" and only became a problem when it was rejected by the new MOT system 50-plus years later. Luckily, this was shortly before the closure of the much-lamented DVLA local offices. Face-to-face and equipped with photos and reference books we had it sorted in a matter of minutes.

At the end of June last year I got my RP Saloon back on the road after 42 years.
I had a V5 (not a V5C)
The class was 'Unlicensed' and the colour was 'Brown'
I insured it with RH and went to the village post office at Five Ash Down where the helpful Postmistress tried to sort the tax for me but failed, probably because the class needed changing to Historic.
I was given a V62 to complete and send to the DVLA directly.
I wasn't convinced that it was the right document. Nevertheless, I filled it in, noting the change of class to Historic and the colour to Black, ignored the request for a £25 fee and sent it along with a V112 (MOT exemption form) to Swansea.
Within days I received a new V5C with updated class and colour and the car was shown as taxed at the Gov.uk vehicle enquiry site.
It's been used just about every day since.

https://www.facebook.com/austinh7/videos/10152792782461853/

David Worthington

A couple of years ago I purchased a Ruby rolling chassis and engine with chassis I.D. plate and reg plates.
I sent off for a v5 and received it in due course (with standard engine size mistake: 850cc instead of 747cc).

David

Sorry, David, more questions: Did you have any original paperwork to back up the numbers on the "hardware"? Did you get the old registration back and if so, is it transferable? or was an "age-related" one issued?

Thanks!

Henry, thanks. From the sound of it, no problems at all for you.

As at December 2015 - a positive note to share in connection with the DVLA!

My new 7 project came with the old style V5 and had the wrong engine cc.

So as part of the changeover with the registered keeper, I pointed out the error (and was able to respond to them on-line), they wanted additional information to support the alteration, which is fair enough.

Had to get a letter from the Club (A7OC London - thanks to Mike Burgess), stating that the recorded information was wrong and also that the taxation class needed to be changed to historic vehicle.

New V5c came in post, thought I had better get the tax sorted (on-line) and guess what, the DVLA had arranged for the car to be taxed for the full year!

Now that's good service, they could so easily have not bothered, I was impressed!

Now to get my Uncle's engine cc changed on his V5c...

Thanks Gary. That sounds like another fairly simple issue dealt with without too much trouble.

Surely, though, after all of the noise about DVLA, there must be more of you that have actually dealt with them in the last nine months?

Martin,

I expect that people are either waiting until the dust has settled or they just don’t want to get involved (I know of one such case).

The above results are very encouraging but some dates associated with David Worthington’s Special project would be interesting as a marker for the DVLA’s position.

Although not an Austin 7, a friend’s recent experiences importing a vehicle can be found at www.onemanandhismustang.com.

I really am astonished!

While the original DVLA thread lumbers on in headless chicken fashion, it would appear that despite all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth, hardly anyone is in a position to make an informed contribution based on recent dealings with DVLA!

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier; in answer to your questions:

I called on Saturday 26th Feb 2016

-The car is currently described as a Ruby Saloon (Colour - Burgundy).

-There was no original documents, just the chassis plate and reg plate.

-I don't know if it's transferable or not, but I intend to keep it as it came with the car.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
David

Martin Prior

I really am astonished!

While the original DVLA thread lumbers on in headless chicken fashion, it would appear that despite all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth, hardly anyone is in a position to make an informed contribution based on recent dealings with DVLA!

Why astonished?

The other thread is about lack of clarity and information from the DVLA. If we were all well informed, then we would not be in this situation. I'm not sure what you were expecting - perhaps that there are thousands of people registering new specials and we just haven't head about it? If I had just squeaked a special through the system, the last thing I would do is tell the world about it.

Peter

Peter, my request was for ANY information on dealings with DVLA.

It would be informative and helpful to know at what point things start to get difficult.

Has anyone notified a colour change and did this go through on the nod?

What about an engine swap? Were there any problems in replacing one genuine A7 engine with another?

As to more controversial changes, such as saloon to sports, I cannot see why anyone who has gone through the process honestly should have anything to fear by reporting their experience, good, bad, or indifferent.

I'm not asking for a guide on how to cheat the system. I simply want to know what can currently be done openly and honestly.

"If I had just squeaked a special through the system the last thing I would do is tell the world about it" implies some sort of underhand behaviour and that is exactly what seems to have brought this whole issue down on our heads in the first place!

Trouble is Martin,
that the majority of clubs are advising to hold off from attempting registration for the time being, any re-bodied or non original cars.

I guess most people are following that advice for fear of everything going t!ts up and prejudicing their application.

Steve V.

Martin
I have a age related plate ,on a saloon all kosher. I have no saloon as the body was chucked away 20 odd years ago as unrepairable, the rest is sitting with a unused Paxton body No3, so well over 25 years old , ready to build into a special. I have been advised by my local DVLA rep to wait until it is sorted unless I want a non transferable "Q" plate.

I imported a car from Italy in August 2014; this was a complete and unaltered matching numbers car. It took 6 months to get the DVLA to issue a V5C, and even then they got it wrong! I had (and still have) the original Italian registration papers, the Italian export document,and an ASI (Automotoclub Storico Italiano) Passport, any one of which should have been sufficient according to their own information. DVLA rejected them all (no explanation). Nor did they accept an authentication letter from the Italian manufacturer. Eventually they did accept a letter of authenticity from the English club, although they still managed to come up with a date of manufacture which was not mentioned on any of the documents! It was only one year out, and doesn't affect anything, so I have not bothered to correct it. I don't know whether it is true, but I was told by the club concerned that DVLA does not recognise any documentation unless it's in English!

I know of another car which has been imported from France which the owner is at this moment trying to get registered, and DVLA has even rejected the English club's documentation ... but that's second-hand info so perhaps shouldn't be considered appropriate for this thread.

Hi Derek.

Your situation sounds familiar!

I assume that you're referring to your Club DVLA rep(?). Keeping a low profile seems to be the general and sensible advice at the moment.

What I'm trying to get down to is any first-hand experience of dealing with DVLA itself, however trivial the reason and whatever the outcome.

Are things actually as bad as everyone believes, or is it in fact business as usual?

That sounds like a nightmare, Mike! I assume that at the end of it you came out with an age-related plate and the whole thing (eventually) resolved to your satisfaction?

David Worthington
Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier; in answer to your questions:

I called on Saturday 26th Feb 2016

-The car is currently described as a Ruby Saloon (Colour - Burgundy).

-There was no original documents, just the chassis plate and reg plate.

-I don't know if it's transferable or not, but I intend to keep it as it came with the car.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
David

Thanks for the update,David. On the face of it, this looks quite hopeful. Any news on how things develop would be much appreciated.

Derek,
Same situation as me and same advice from club authentication officer. Very frustrating. I have written to FBHVC and Andrew Jones MP,Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport recently but no reply yet.
Dave.

Martin Prior

That sounds like a nightmare, Mike! I assume that at the end of it you came out with an age-related plate and the whole thing (eventually) resolved to your satisfaction?

Yes, the car has an age-related plate and Historic Tax status, although he V5C declares the car manufactured in 1954, even though the Italian registration documents are dated August 1953 and the manufacturer's and club's evidence states a build date of June 1953!

Not exactly satisfactory, but I have no wish to continue the farce ...

Well done, Mike!

Near enough for "satisfactory", I'd have thought!

My experience is from 2014, so not hugely relevant but you asked.

I bought a Wolseley Hornet Special at auction in December 2013, the Club Registrar had been unable to authenticate it as a genuine WHS because the chassis number appeared on the documents to be the same as a WHS in the USA. Having closely examined the car I was confident it was a genuine WHS so I bid for and bought it at Bonhams auction. Whilst recommissioning the car, I found the numbers stamped on the axles, gearbox and engine all of which confirmed its provenance. However I was unable to make sense of the chassis number, no plate being present on this car, it is not stamped on any component just the car number and Sanction Numbers on brass plates from the manufacturer. After four or five months of staring at the paperwork I finally unravelled the mystery. The duplicate log book, issued in 1974 had a different chassis number, which seemed correct. The first time the car was registered on the electronic system in 1983 the chassis number was incorrectly recorded, instead using the engine number, but without the backslash. This was then confirmed when the car changed hands twice in the early 20oughties. What confused matters is that along the way the engine had been changed for another, the number of which was recorded on the V5. The Club Registrar agreed with my findings, wrote a letter of support and I sent off the change of detail paperwork, photos and my own covering letter. One month later a new V5C was issued, the chassis number was still recorded as the old engine number. I returned all the paperwork, pointed out the error in Cardiff and a month later the paperwork returned........wrong again. I phoned and made a bit of a fuss about not wanting to again fill in the paperwork and eventually was put through to the Historic Vehicle section "who dont normally take phone calls". After retrieving the paperwork and having the issue explained, a light came on in Cardiff and within a week I had the V5C reissued with all the details now correctly recorded.

In July 2014 I moved and sent in the V5C's for all the Historic's I have and whilst at it decided to tackle the incorrectly recorded details.

Austin 7 RP different engine number, incorrect engine size, blue over black not black over blue. I week returned all details correct
Austin Cambridge Special, incorrect engine number, wrong engine size, 1 week returned paperwork, correct
Morris 8 engine size incorrect, 1 week paperwork corrected
WHS, address change, no problem
Lotus Elan+2 although first registered in 1973, it was manufactured in 1972 and I had a factory letter to confirm. I asked for Historic Vehicle tax class, 2 weeks paperwork returned corrected and Historic tax issued for 1 year, without asking.
Morris 8 2 seater, on SORN, changed address and engine size and colour and engine number, three weeks, paperwork correct.

I marked them 8/10 for interpretation and 9/10 for efficiency, well impressed.

Although not part of this discussion I want to add that of all the Admin Depts of the UK.Gov, DVLA has a really good system for relicensing and declaring SORN on line. It is fast, slick, works every time in my experience and is way ahead of the old Post Office fill-in-a-form and queue for "Window number 7 please".

I do regret the passing of local offices and the guidance one could get from them, but I have to say that I am in fairly close touch with a local group of full time specials builders (neither Austin nor Bugatti), one of whom I visited today and who says that the last three specials, licensed in the last six months, all with new bodies declared on original components, sometimes of different manufacture have been returned their original numbers or age related plates and licensed as Historic. This can take two months and requires a lot of of photos and rubbings of numbers, usually a second, sometimes a third lot of questions, but always successful.

Thanks very much for that. Your experiences sound as though you got what you wanted, but only through some pretty dogged persistence!

The recent story about the special builders is very interesting, as it seems to contradict much of the speculation that's been going on.

I'll update as and when; this will be a veeerrryyy slow burner so wouldn't be surprised if the DVLA changed policies before I finished! ;)

But will certainly keep folks up to date when I get the car sorted... eventually!

Cheers,
David

An update to my post of 1st March.

I returned this afternoon from a funeral north of Aviemore (the Cainrgorms looked wonderful in sunshine and blue skies with their covering of snow).

In my mailbox was a new V5C for my Citroen SM complete with the correct chassis number. I'm very relieved.

Apart from taking 8 weeks instead of the 2-4 as I was told, a good result.

Now happy to spend many £s having the bodywork made beautiful!

It would appear you need to write to the PM and call your car a shed.

photo image_zps5w9z9z2o.jpeg

whilst infuriating Martin whose pleas for concentrated hard facts are creditable (I too gave up reading the other DVLA thread as it takes to long to negotiate to the end of the thread each time you access it!) it should be noted that Mr Nicks probably would have managed to secure an age related suffix if he had retained the original Red Cedar. We live and learn.

To get to the end of the thread click the double chevron (>>) at the RH end. Easy.
(Sorry Martin, off topic I know).

JonE
it should be noted that Mr Nicks probably would have managed to secure an age related suffix if he had retained the original Red Cedar. We live and learn.

Although a seven owner I have just completed a Triumph motorcycle restoration and had to obtain a V5 from Swansea, naturaly.I posted all the required paperwork which would have arrived in Swansea on monday 29th February and I received a new V5 this morning tuesday 8th March. Hows that for service, whats the problem with the DVLA ?

Dorking Surrey

Clive

Clive Medland
Although a seven owner I have just completed a Triumph motorcycle restoration and had to obtain a V5 from Swansea, naturaly.I posted all the required paperwork which would have arrived in Swansea on monday 29th February and I received a new V5 this morning tuesday 8th March. Hows that for service, whats the problem with the DVLA ?

Dorking Surrey

Clive

Hi Clive.

Another satisfied customer!

As a matter of interest, how much original paperwork did you have for the Triumph? Is it still carrying its original registration, or is it now on an "age-related" plate?

Thanks!

I had to get an age related number. I send mot certificate, insurance certificate, a letter of authority from the Triumph Owners Club confirming year of manufacture, engine and frame numbers and I included a photograph.
To my mind to acquire a V5 incuding a new reg number this is excellent service within 8 days.

I think this recent communications about the DVLA is a storm in a teacup which is justified if a misdemeanour is trying to be achieved ! The DVLA are correct in rejecting these dubious applications which can only be a good thing for our organisation / pastime. Ultimately afer the dust has settled we will continue making our specials after all they are only a new body on a original chassis.

I suspect that you're quite right, Clive. I've had quite a few responses, both on this Forum and privately, but despite the huge amount of alarm expressed on the DVLA New Rules thread, no-one has yet reported a seriously negative first-hand experience.

Martin Prior

I suspect that you're quite right, Clive. I've had quite a few responses, both on this Forum and privately, but despite the huge amount of alarm expressed on the DVLA New Rules thread, no-one has yet reported a seriously negative first-hand experience.

Martin, don't I remember Malcolm Parker having a very negative first hand experience which was reported on this forum??

This was posted elsewhere by Malcom in Dec. 2014 and subsequently commented on here (but I can't find it!!)

"Problem registering Austin 7 with DVLA
About 10 years ago I bought an Austin 7 special with a horrible 1950's body. There was no V5 but the car had its original reg. number. The car was on a 1929 chassis clearly marked and the original body chassis number and car number plates had been transferred to the replacement body. I rebuilt the chassis and running gear and fitted an authentic replica Gordon England body. The car was authenticated by the PWA7C as a 1929 vehicle fitted with replica body and the recommendation made that it be issued with an age related number. So far so good!
The DVLA forms were filled in and sent off for an age related number. Next they wanted proof of my identity despite having lived at my present address 28 years during which time they have sent me countless demands for Road Fund Tax etc etc. Identity duly sent off, next came back a Form V627 to complete. This is to confirm the source and make of the principal components of the vehicle. All the parts are original A7 apart from a new replica body. Photo of the chassis number also enclosed with my reply.
Just had a reply from DVLA, the car has been allocated a new VIN number (seven letters followed by 10 digits) and will be issued with a 'Q' reg number!
They have instructed me to have a franchised dealer or local garage to have this VIN number stamped onto the chassis frame in a clearly visible and accessible position.
Having had this done and certified by the dealer or garage, I have to present the vehicle for Individual Vehicle Approval.
Has anyone else had similar problems?"

Ian Mc.

Thanks Ian.

Malcolm Parker obviously had a nightmare experience with his car. Interestingly his problems appear to pre-date the current "New Rules"(?) panic by quite some time.

Martin Prior

Thanks Ian.

Malcolm Parker obviously had a nightmare experience with his car. Interestingly his problems appear to pre-date the current "New Rules"(?) panic by quite some time.

His was the first case that I became aware of.

Ian Mc.

Do we know if Malcolm Parker returned the paperwork to the DVLA with a covering letter to inform them that a Q plate would not be acceptable to him under any circumstances?