Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austin Dealer/Garage? North Lincolnshire

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help. I have followed up on your advice and I have got a lead.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks

Matthew

Hi Everyone,

Seeing Hugh Barnes' recent post about Wimbledon based Austin dealers, reminded me (rather belatedly) about this topic that I was meant to update.

As it stands at the moment my research has hit a dead end, but I have had some success. As mentioned in my original post, Lincolnshire archives were able to provide me with the registration record. I now know that my Nippy was supplied by E Parman & Sons which was a small village garage operating in Saxilby.

Luckily for me, I was able to speak with the son of one of the garage owners which in turn gave me some interesting background on the garage and its owners. Unfortunately, the gentlemen didn't get back in contact after I left him with some details of my vehicle (I can only assume there were no surviving records for the information I was asking about).

I have some basic details about who my car started its life with in 1936 but then nothing until the mid 1980's when the previous owner to myself acquired the car.

I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas about how to re-start my research as I would dearly like to discover more about the car's history - my research sources so far:

Lincolnshire Archives - Registration Record (but nothing else)

Kithead Trust - No records

Local History Group - Great source of information with very helpful members (they were able to supply me with pictures of the garage in period, as well as narrow down the likely first owner, based on an initial and surname.)

On an aside note, I would very much like to know if anyone has ever come across or owns an E Parman & Sons supplier dashboard plaque (I don't even know if they exist).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Matthew

The Austin Dealer for Grimsby Nth.Lincolnshire was Grimsby Motors of Eleanor St, Grimsby.An Austin 18 York Saloon owned by them can be seen in the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Museum in Lincoln,(see LVVS webb site). reg,JV4936.

Do we presume you have no old buff log or continuation book with old addresses prior to the last owner?

Thanks Bill, I'll take a look at the museum.

In response to your question Jon, I only have a modern log book and DVLA records have proved next to useless as they had listed the previous owner's friend (whom he bought it off) listed as owning the vehicle from 1936 to 1986, which I know to be rubbish.

Thanks

Matthew

I'd start advertising/putting a few articles out with descriptions/colour/plate from the latest periods you have gaps for - i.e. when people might be alive! Both in Association mag perhaps, and newspapers if you have a hunch about the area it might have been in.

When I found the recent compiled index for Association mags had a reference to my car from 2012, I assumed it was the last owner appealing for information as you need to do... when in fact it was the holy grail of someone having found information on the car and wanting to discover the owner. (That's not really helpful other than to convince you to keep putting in the effort and somehow it will be repaid!)

Hi Just thought I would have my penny's worth.
Grimsby Motors in Eleanor Street (Main Garage with showroom in West St. Mary's Gate, Grimsby) where Austin Main Dealers, I have a 1936 showroom photo of Two 7 h.p. Ruby Saloons and a Nippy Sports two seater. Grimsby Reg. Letters where "EE" (1904-Nov 1930 & also "JV" (Nov 1930- Dec 1946)
Is it possible to post a photo on this site ?
Regards David

Matthew,
Just outside of Lincoln on the A57 was a garage going by the name of Forman,
this was in Lindsey. FW & FU were the registrations for Lindsey the village was Saxilby. Hope this may be of some help.

Here is the coloured version of David's fabulous photo

For those following the posts on the Nippy archive http://aus7in.wordpress.com, I can't get over how important that dated picture is for one of the current bits of research...

Hi David & Bill,

That's a great picture of Grimsby Motors (I wonder if those car's have survived).

With reference to Bill's comment and supported by my investigations, I am fairly confident that my Nippy was supplied by E Parman & Sons of Saxilby to a V M Harrison. Even though I have got some great pictures of the garage both past and present I haven't been able to elaborate any further into my car's early history. All I know is that the owner before last bought the car from the Lincolnshire area in the 1960's following a tip off at an Austin Seven meeting in Staunton Harold. Further to this there is the possibility that it was recovered from a orchard. It's a little vague I Know but its all I have to go on.

I would be extremely grateful if anybody had any ideas as to possible avenues of further research or if they recall ever coming across the car at meetings (I think it was painted yellow in the 1960's).

Thanks in advance

Matthew