Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1931 Pinion bearings

My word, there's been quite a bit of chat since I last looked!
Tony makes a good point about the loss of radius. The good news is that there is a generous radius on the bearing and enough of it remains after machining for it to still fit in its housing. On the outboard face of the adjacent bearing there is not even a need for a radius.
As has been mentioned, they tap apart without too much effort, and I have it on good authority from a bearing supplier, that there is no danger of the surface being damaged if done in a sensible manner. Certainly, I have never had any evidence of brinelling and the bearings have since run for thousands of miles.
By the same token, if an angular contact bearing comes apart when removing a crankshaft, just make sure to collect all balls together so they can be associated with that bearing and, when all is apart, check the now fully exposed races and decide if they are fit for further service. Clean up, reassemble and make the usual checks in the vice (as described elsewhere) to see if they can be used again.
Let's face it new ones are now very expensive and old ones should not be tossed aside simply because they have come apart. If buying new, avoid Chinese ones.
Ron