Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bearings

Hi Henry, Most of the largest Bearing manufactures have plants in China ie SKF,
and Japan have three of the top companies in the world.
Just stick to Brands that you recognize as they have the quality
control for piece of mind regardless of manufacturing site

Chinese made and branded bearings are usually made from unsuitable steels with poor hardening and finish - they won't last.

Using only known brands should be OK, but the big difficulty with reputable branded bearings now being made in China- there are also unscrupulous Chinese manufacturers who will copy everything and anything- producing- say - an SKF copy bearing marked SKF and packed in copy of the original SKF boxes but still using unsuitable steel, poor hardening and finish.

Not sure how you overcome this- locally we have sourced old stock SKF, R&M, RHP etcetera bearings from wherever we can and only bought European made known brands when no others are available.

Tony.

Tony Press
Chinese made and branded bearings are usually made from unsuitable steels with poor hardening and finish - they won't last.

Using only known brands should be OK, but the big difficulty with reputable branded bearings now being made in China- there are also unscrupulous Chinese manufacturers who will copy everything and anything- producing- say - an SKF copy bearing marked SKF and packed in copy of the original SKF boxes but still using unsuitable steel, poor hardening and finish.

Yes, there was a very interesting piece on ??Sky (which might be available on youtube etc) not so long ago where precisely this was happening to industrial users of large SKF branded roller mill bearings. Replacement bearings suddenly had a service life measured in weeks/months rather than years. As I recall the journalist was monstered off the case by various dodgy characters before he could fully establish how the sub-standard ones were being slipped into the supply chain alongside the kosher ones. According to the SKF local rep who was interviewed, the packaging of the bogus ones were 100% identical (even down to the font/colours used), except as Tony says, the bearing materials & processes were completely deficient...

My contacts at SKF Australia have told me of similar cases-

Last year a customer placed an urgent order with SKF for a bearing, to be told it was unfortunately not available at present.

The customer then did his own search and found what he thought was the wanted SKF bearing - correctly marked and packaged as such.

After installation and early failure he attacked SKF for supplying a faulty product to be told that as advised SKF did not have this bearing available anywhere in the world and the bearing the customer had obtained was therefore a total fake !

They also told me that the Chinese manufacturers apparently would only use genuine SKF bearings and not Chinese made bearings.

Takes me back to the 60's when Japanese bearing manufacturers first tried producing large double row spherical roller bearings for Jaw Crushers, undercutting SKF prices. These early Japanese bearings failed regularly causing much grief among plant engineers.

It took many years for Japanese bearing manufacture to recover - there is a lot more to bearing design and manufacture than many thought, as well as using the correct high quality clean steel.

Tony.

Hi, Shop around for a Bearing supply Company in your area that has a proven record of supplying quality bearings not cut price.
In NZ iuse SAECO WILSON and I trust them to supply the Quality of bearing that I require.
and they have not let me down ever.