Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Insurance renewal notifications

Has anyone had recent experience of their classic/modern car insurer not sending a renewal proposal for an existing policy? And also not sending a follow-up reminder if the renewal was not done in time?

Re: Insurance renewal notifications

only inasmuch as RH had some problems during the last year with computers due to being taken over by another company.
It didn't affect me personally but I believe some were.

Steve V.

Bl**dy hell, they've only gone and done it again! I happened to be sorting out some paperwork and realised that I couldn't find insurance certificates for the Austins. Spent some time faffing about thinking they might be in the 'pending filing' pile, but no, last certificates are valid to 30th November.

Rang RH to ask them to send the certificates, but was told that my policy had lapsed because I hadn't renewed it. Why hadn't they sent me a renewal invitation? Apparently they had sent me an e-mail, but had forgotten to send me the letter (or a chase-up letter). Told them that e-mails were extremely unreliable. Apart from the cars being uninsured for over 2 months, the other really worrying aspect is the incredibly relaxed attitude shown by RH on these occasions - here I am, slumped at my desk hyperventilating, and they seem to be treating it as seriously as if I had just informed them that I had a mild cold.

I am writing to the A7CA to suggest that we should seriously look into finding another (more competent) insurer. Can anyone suggest where to go from here?

Link to previous posting about this.

David

It does seem that results are variable.....I received my invitation to renew documents from RH 2 weeks ago, I phoned them yesterday to take up their offer, all done and dusted in less than 5 minutes, speaking to a very pleasant and helpful person. I now await the ins. cert. to complete the deal.

When I asked RH to ADD a series 2 landrover to the policy for my ORT for a short while, they changed it over, leaving me uninsured. I only found out when we sold the landy... (this was pre Hiscox) always best to read everything properly!

Similarly back in the day, a mate renewed the insurance on his Frogeye and somehow managed to go from a policy that expired at noon to one that expired at midnight (thankfully now all standardised at midnight). Points and a big fine from from PC Plod...

Ultimately these things are our responsibility.

SWMBO has all the dates in her diary. I'll not be brave enough to complain if she doesn't send a reminder!

Similar problems with RH last year,on reading the small print I found that the agreed value had been dropped and changed to market value.
After a very frustrating phone call and 25 years of using RH,I changed to another insurer.The service i received from the new insurer was outstanding and came well recommended by others who had similar problems.
Andy

Just had a very apologetic and concerned call from a very pleasant lady at Hiscox (who now own RH). It turns out that the main reason for my not receiving the renewal letter is that my account was set to communication by e-mail. Even so, this should have been followed up by letters.

They have back-dated my insurance to December so that it looks continuous, and my account has now been set to a preference for letters. It might be a good idea if you contacted RH to check that they contact you by letter. As Nick points out, these things are ultimately our responsibility, so I have put an annual reminder in my diary.

David

Nick

Who are you now with Andy? RH left me un-insured for 2 months last year, even though I'd been with them 16 years, so I feel it's time to find another insurer.

Alan

Through RH I enjoy:

Unlimited mileage.

Agreed value.

Fully comprehensively insured for anyone over 25 years old to drive.

Salvage, it written off.

Full European breakdown recovery/repatriation for the car and passengers plus a rental car to complete your holiday.

Theft cover for spare parts belonging to the car, up to the value of the car, even if they are stored in a different garage and this is agreed with RH beforehand.

Above this:

They have a history of paying up more if you have mistakenly underinsured the car.

They have a history of paying up if they consider the renewal was not completed due to an error on their part.

They have a history of no quibble pay-outs.

All this for an annual fee of less than £50.

I personally don't feel the need to look elsewhere for insurance, I accept fully that it is my obligation to ensure that I know when the insurance on my cars run out and that if new certificates don't appear I need to chase it up immediately.

I think we should be supporting a company that has been doing this for nearly 40 years for us so that we can enjoy our cars without restrictions and treats us incredibly well - to be honest.

I was surprised to see this thread re-surface and totally sympathise with David et al whilst agreeing that it is indeed ultimately our own responsibility.

That said, I am really disappointed that RH does seem to now have an issue with their renewals process. I am not at all happy about having the process done by email as it is far too easy to miss them, forget them, or to find them sitting in the spam folder. I would far rather have a snail mail renewal invitation.

Further, as a long term customer (actually, as a customer of ANY duration)I would expect a competent and commercially astute company to telephone me if my policy was about to expire and they had heard nothing about the renewal. I said this to RH when I had my own renewal crisis last year and the chap I was speaking thought it was done. It clearly isn't.

I will make contact with RH and advise them to have a look at this thread - in the hope that Hiscox will take note and amend their operating procedure in respect of renewals.

p.s. Just seen Ruairidh's latest post about the benefits of RH and totally endorse what he says. I don't want to change provider, but I would like the provider to change. Just a tiny bit.

Having made FULL use of RH insurance cover I can fully endorse all of the benefits that R has listed above for RH insurance.

I have been with them for 37 years.

Bryan.

I'm responding to this thread in my position of A7CA Secretary. When I first took on the role few months ago, problems with RH's 'customer support' were raised in the first meeting I attended and I went out to all Clubs to see whether there were any common issues that were being experienced and that I could follow up. Apart from a few isolated issues, there were no problems highlighted - and no-one made any comment regarding renewals.

Clearly individuals are responsible for ensuring their vehicles are insured. I understood that there were some renewal issues the year that RH were bought by Hiscox, which I gather had been resolved. I think it may be a little soon to suggest RH/Hiscox still have a problem when we only have a few examples. Particularly as RH have several thousand Austin 7s insured with them. I doubt any other insurer would have any better 'error rate'.

It does seem to me that the root problem may be those people that have their renewal notices arrive by email. By post might be the better option and perhaps people should consider this.

In saying this however, I will talk to RH to see if there are any improvements that can be made.

I should say that I insure all my vehicles through RH so I should declare some form of interest...

Hugh Barnes

Having been a satisfied customer with RH for 40 years or so and agreeing wholeheartedly with all the points made by Ruairidh, I was feeling very apprehensive about moving to another company. While I accept that it's my responsibility for making sure that I am insured, having had years of renewal letters on time and being chased if I forget or leave it a bit late to renew, I was lulled into a sense of security and had unconsciously let RH take over that responsibility. So I have mended my ways.

Perhaps my initial post was rather a case of shooting from the hip, but having it happen twice in 18 months got me on the funny bone and I should have got it sorted with them before venting my spleen on the forum! I was ultimately impressed with the way that they dealt with my complaint and re-instated my cover, so I am once again (and rather thankfully) back as a reasonably satisfied customer.

Now I really must take some photos and get the agreed values sorted out...

David

Ruairidh Dunford
Nick

Agree 100pct

Same with Car Tax renewal/sorn etc. it is ultimately our responsibility. Forgot to renew your car tax and stopped by the police, what excuses can you give? none.
best thing is to put it in your telephone diary or computer to remind you a week before or use available apps like
VehicleSmart
DigitalGarage

My experience with RH is good. I'm on email comms with them, and I got my renewal offer yesterday.

Back in October, I added my 1955 Standard 10. They charged me £22 from Oct to end of Feb.

I've not examined the detail yet, but I notice that I'm not covered for theft if the cars are not garaged between 10pm and 6am.

Total premium including tax and legal expenses cover £126.

I'm happy with RH service.

Received my invitation from RH to renew by post on 22nd January.My present insurance expiring on 14th February.

I would advise all with renewed policies to check their cover,I just returned from driving my son's Ford something or other,and for some reason decided to confirm that I was covered on my Seven's policy.Shocked to find that this years paperwork, unlike previous years,has NO mention that the policy holder may also drive other cars. I was covered on the wife's modern policy but what if I wasn't? could have been an impounded car and points with a fine. I've e-mailed RH with my concerns, but thought others should also check their own positions.

Back in February 2017 I asked RH to include my son as a driver on my seven insurance. This they did and a few days later the new paperwork arrived only to have omitted his name from the Certificate of Insurance. I advise everyone to check there policy documents when you receive them.

John Mason

Just had a phone call from Rachel at RH who apologised for the omission of the additional vehicle section. I was covered but the paragraph had been missed by a computer glitch. She did advise that in any case we should always check our policies when they arrive. A new correct certificate is now on its way.