Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Car tax ?

Michael Herridge
...also methinks your insurance wouldn't pay out in the event of a claim if your car is on the road untaxed.

I have never seen an insurance policy that mentioned the car being taxed.

But by law it must be taxed to use on the road - even though the tax is free.

And by law if it is taxed it must be insured even if not used on the road. So if you lay it up in the winter and save the cost of insurance you must sorn it, cancel the tax, then re-tax it before it goes back on the road.

Let us know how it goes Cliff.

Steve V

I think the problem is that people think because you don't pay for it you don't have to tax it. WRONG. A better description would be (and this what I should have said before) You have to tax it but there is no charge if it is classed as historic.

John Mason

Even though it seems my car is not taxed ,I have had it insured since last March and have just renewed it again with RH .

Evening people,so an update,went to main post office with forms downloaded and filled in,told lady of my position,she checked on her computer and said all I have to do is fill in section for change of class,I put in heritage,she checked it,kept relevant side of v5 to send to Swansea and gave me a receipt to say the car is now taxed for a year with no charge and will get a new log book in the post.so hopefully that's it.

Thanks to all

Cliff

Michael Herridge
Worth doing, no point getting fined for something that costs nowt...also methinks your insurance wouldn't pay out in the event of a claim if your car is on the road untaxed.

I'm not entirely sure youd get fined. I once managed to forget to tax both the Austin and the modern. 3months later I noticed. Taxed both. BUT only got fined for the modern. Plus the back tax. Got away scott free with the Austin.