Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin 7 ramp

Getting to the age where I don't want to crawl on my back under the car I'd like to find a solution.
Not being able to dig a pit or the height for a proper ramp I thought about using 2 motorcycle ramps side by side and bolted together which would at least give a height of around 750mm.
I wonder how to get them both to lift together.
Is it a good idea?
Any thoughts ?

Re: Austin 7 ramp

I have just bought one from Holden which has ramps to lift under each side of the car. See their web site. Most modern ramps of this design are made to pick up under the cills of modern cars and are too wide for the chassis of proper cars. Holden have this made with wider ramps to cater for cars with narrow chassis. Ideal for when working with the wheels off. It works fine with my larger Austins and MX5 but the lifting part is 1400 long and catches on the wheels of the Chummy when lifting. I have to jack up the Chummy on the ramp before lifting.
It makes life so much easier when you can sit on a stool with hubs etc at lap height. You also don't have to bend over wings to work on engines as they are chest height.
Worth a look on Holdens web site and it is probably not much more expensive than two bike ramps. Excellent service from Holden who delivered and installed it.

Gordon

In the DA7C news letter last month Vince Leek had a motorcycle lift adapted for a Seven for sale ,if I remember rightly it was £350.

I've heard of people using old tail lifts or the lifting bit of a fork lift.

Does mean you have to be next to a wall though.

This brings to mind a question about my recently acquired Seven. What are the safe jacking points. Obviously, some part of the chassis, but what is safe? Under the spring shackles?

Jack from the axles,or the chassis cross members if you want to lift the axles off the ground.
Re the lift I was looking at possibly using 2 Clarke CML3's which lift by air/hydraulic if I have enough space and long enough for a LWB car.
I think Vinces lift has sold but would be interested in how he adapted it for a seven.

Another option is to make your own ramps. Plans are available (not free) here:-

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/

I am the new owner of vince leeks lift. It works well
If anyone wants pics or wants to come and see it please ask.

Hi Ian,

I'm halfway round the world, so bit hard to come and see, but would like to see any photos.

Best,

Erich