Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Decelaration vibrations

Hi All, I've recently bought a 1934 RP Box Saloon and seem to have a problem. When I accelerate everything seems normal,however when I get up to speed and take my foot off the throttle, there is a significant rumbling and vibration. This disappears again when you accelarate.Has anyone had anything similar or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Re: Decelaration vibrations

It might be a worn fabric coupling-a very similar issue has been discussed recently, see recent posts by Michael Herridge. a good test would be to try decelerating whilst gently pulling back on the handbrake at the same time. if this reduces the problem then that's probably what you're looking at.

See the recent threads regarding prop shafts and replacement of the fabric coupling. In addition, if your car has the correct type of prop shaft this will have a fabric coupling at the gearbox end and the first type of Hardy Spicer joint at the axle end. These early H/S joints had the spider running in metal cups with no needle rollers. Wear at either end will result in the vibration you are experiencing. The fabric coupling can be replaced but the H/S joint can't as parts became unobtainable pre-war when the needle roller type joint was introduced and they're not interchangeable. The solution is a new, fully H/S, propshaft. Fitting it will require some slight adjustment of the handbrake ratchet and the replacement of the rear axle drive flange with one that mates with the H/S propshaft - or an adapter to mate the two. An alternative is a better early type H/S joint but I suspect you'll struggle to find one of those. I've two or three on the shelf but they're all worn.

Steve

Thank you gents for such a quick response. Much appreciated.

Thank you gents for such a quick response. Much appreciated.