Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: All UK Pre 1991 Cars Driving in the EEC Cities will need an Exhaust Emission Certificate

Makes you wonder what the parameters of the test will be, obviously a 1920s car is going to be entirely different to a 1990s, lets face it when did you ever see a 1990s spec car quoting oil consumption!

Re: All UK Pre 1991 Cars Driving in the EEC Cities will need an Exhaust Emission Certificate

Phil Kingdom
Makes you wonder what the parameters of the test will be, obviously a 1920s car is going to be entirely different to a 1990s, lets face it when did you ever see a 1990s spec car quoting oil consumption!

yes, with a regulation like this, the date is certainly important

Stuart Giles
Phil Kingdom

I understand that time of day is also important? Before or after noon.

Stuart Palmer
Stuart Giles
Phil Kingdom

I understand that time of day is also important? Before or after noon.

Clearly before noon the air can reasonably be expected to be cooler and more dense, leading to better emission results.

Ah but what level of emissions is required to get a certificate. The last time I took a Seven for an MOT the garage owner made some derogatory comment about the car's emissions so I challenged him to test the emissions, he replied it wasn't necessary so I asked for a discount. The result was he carried out an emission test, which was some what protracted as he didn't believe the reading-it was much lower than he expected. I think he said it was within the spec for a 1995 vehicle and that was with a 22FZB carburettor.

Whilst this was a good April Fool's day red herring, there is some truth in it. In Germany most cities have central areas subject to vehicular pollution control and any vehicle entering the area should carry an appropriate sticker (fee applicable). There are three types dependant on the level of emissions on the vehicle, which are calculated from the registration document and the year of manufacture. Not carrying the appropriate sticker renders the user liable to a fine (not sure exactly how much, but I think 40€)

Info here: http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/travel/articles/green-zones-in-germany.shtml

I don't know whether there is any exception for an "oldtimer"

I fell for that one hook line and sinker.
That's one of the problems I have with being retired is that I have little awareness of days and date, does it bother me, Na!!

There was an article in the national papers about a month ago re congestion charging in uk city centres 5 cities including Derby and Nottingham were looking at introducing congestion charges in an inner city area.Can't remember whether it was also based on emissions. Goodbye town centre shopping.
Nottingham already has a "Workplace parking charge" (Tax) for firms with more than 10 parking spaces.A friend had to pay I believe £268 a year,the same as his road tax.

Austin in the Shed
There was an article in the national papers about a month ago re congestion charging in uk city centres 5 cities including Derby and Nottingham were looking at introducing congestion charges in an inner city area.Can't remember whether it was also based on emissions. Goodbye town centre shopping.
Nottingham already has a "Workplace parking charge" (Tax) for firms with more than 10 parking spaces.A friend had to pay I believe £268 a year,the same as his road tax.

If you want to take your car into a city centre you will have to pay. We all know how congested centres are, this is because people no longer relate to the concept of "Walking" and if they could they would prefer to drive along supermarket aisles. Park out of town free and walk into town or pay to park outside the shop you want to visit, seems logical...

Amazon or out of town shopping for me.

And the High Street dies…
Never mind, they'll build a "High Street Experience Visitor Centre" to wax nostalgic about that wonderful hardware shop where you could buy anything from a needle to an anchor.

"A fool knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Unfortunately all the wonderful hardware stores I knew of in the Derby Burton and Nottingham area closed 10-20 years ago,due in part to the DIY stores sprouting up.
Good or bad the internet has changed our way of shopping for ever.
What bugs me is the local councils creating another layer of taxes in guise of congestion when the High st is struggling against high rent/rates and the changes to our way of shopping.
Good luck on carrying your anchor back to your car in its out of town parking space.

Duncan Grimmond
… Never mind, they'll build a "High Street Experience Visitor Centre" to wax nostalgic about that wonderful hardware shop where you could buy anything from a needle to an anchor.

They've already done that at Beamish Museum!

There's a wonderful hardware shiop thriving in Crickhowell in South Wales.
Webbs on the main road through the town.A40 in fact.
Nearby parking and many other lovely shops close by.

Ian Dunford

We have an old fashioned hardware shop where I live now,just celebrating 90 years in business.
I think they still have some of their original stock on the shelves.

Ian Dunford

Not forgetting "The Bear" pub. Used to be well worth a visit.

Ian Mc.

Ian Dunford

Can it compare to Bunners in Montgomery: http://www.bunners.co.uk/

In Bromyard I found a proper ironmonger with a notice in the window reminding the public that they sold four candles and fork handles, I went in and bought a D-type fork-handle for my spade which has been suffering from woodworm, no doubt caught from some passing acquaintance with an Austin 7..