Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
advice wanted please

Please I need basic help.
austin seven 1932 RN,what oil do I need for the engine and gearbox.
grease gun ,what type of grease gun should I buy,and what type of grease
will I need.
Spark plugs ,what type will I need.
l have a book that suggests what to use but they are not available locally.
Also gearbox oil,there must be a way of measuring the amount of oil in
the box,there is no dip stick.I am certain there is a common sense answer.
Thanking you
peter williams

Re: advice wanted please

peter williams
Please I need basic help.
austin seven 1932 RN,what oil do I need for the engine and gearbox.
grease gun ,what type of grease gun should I buy,and what type of grease
will I need.
l have a book that suggests what to use but they are not available locally.
Thanking you
peter williams

Peter, there's been plenty of discussion about all of these on the Forum recently, with the usual range of opinions, but to be brief my preferences are:

Engine and gearbox - straight SAE 30.

Back axle - AG 140 gear oil

Grease - Lithium-based general-purpose and a standard modern high-pressure manual gun. I've updated the nipples on my cars to suit.

All available from Halfords, or Morris' Lubricants of Shrewsbury among others.

Plugs - Champion D16 or equivalent (usual A7 suppliers, or Ebay)

Does your gearbox have the filler in the lid, or at floor level? If it's the latter, then fill to about 1/2" below the filler.

Are you a member of your local A7 club? It sounds as though it would be very helpful to you if you're not already.

Peter,

See answers already given, plus, sparkplugs could be as given or NGK 14mm or 18mm as required.

Gearbox oil can be checked using the engine dipstick through the oil filler hole but make sure that the dipstick is the correct one for the particular engine other wise it is possible to over fill using the wrong one.

Peter, SWA7C will be in Llangollen, Royal Hotel, 8th-11th April. I run a three speed Box saloon, so come and have a chat and all will be revealed. There is even a Steam Gala on in Llangollen as well. My email address is in the back of the "Grey Mag". Send me an email, and I will give you my mobile number. I can never remember it. john

Many advocate "straight" 30 grade. This term is usually taken to mean non additive as distinct from monograde. I can recall what the sump of our Seven looked like in the early 1950s on (relatively) straight oil (API SB?)and certainly would not want to emulate. Possibly current monogrades are typically above SB.

When read about the performance of 1990s multigrades under high shear I marvel that anyone used, but universally were/are, even by long distance diesel trucks, and highly stressed modern car engines, all with wear much reduced from earlier times. Bearing pressures lower in a stock Seven than a high stressed high temp modern.

Considering that mono 30 is now not easily obtained, why is it so often advocated instead of readily and cheaply available 20W50, 15W40, 10w40 etc which are at worst API SG and much superior to the SD,SE, SF etc which brought low wear in vehicles generally?

Bob - I cannot understand why would you assume any of this- typically an SAE 30 grade such as Castrol Classic gives the following (and I quote from Castrol)

"Castrol Classic XL 30 a high quality traditional monograde engine oil of low detergency, essential for any unrestored (or unknown condition) engines where deposits may be sealing the engine and removing these deposits may cause oil leaks and potential oilway blocking.
It contains selected additives to control high temperature "varnish", give good anti-wear performance Zinc as ZDDP)and help prevent the build up of low temperature "sludge".
It is useful for cold temperature starting in these vehicles and creates improved oil pressure at high operating temperatures.

Castrol Classic XL 30 is primarily for pre-1950 veteran, vintage and classic cars requiring an SAE 30 lubricant, suitable for use in automotive gasoline engines where an API SB performance level is recommended.
It is also applicable to a number of manually operated gearboxes, including Wilson pre-selects fitted to vintage cars.

Penrite have a similar SAE 30 oil-

'Classic Light'
Viscosity: 20W-60 Base Oil: Premium Mineral oil. Viscosity SAE 30, Specifications: API SG/CD: High Zinc (ZDDP)

As do other oil suppliers.

Tony.

My understanding is that a non detergent oil is used so as not to disturb any existing sludge in an unknown condition engine and also to allow sludge to develop given that there is no filter to clean the oil.

If it is a 3 speed RN which has the gearbox filler in the gearbox lid you use the engine dipstick, with the engine STOPPED.

Good point Dave!

To John Williams, thanks for your help.you mention the Grey Mag.I'm sorry I haven t a clue what it is.
Regards.
Peter williams.

The "grey mag" is the Austin 7 Clubs Association magazine, which is issued quarterly and you will receive if you become a member of one of the associate clubs. These clubs (we are members of the Bristol Austin 7 club, for instance) also produce their own publications as well. Combined, you get access to a lot of useful information, contacts and dates for events you might be interested in. Joining one of the Austin seven clubs is extremely useful, as Martin has said previously. There is a large community with a lot of combined knowledge and many related businesses advertise through the clubs as well.