Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wiring a 12v Horn into a 6v Car

Connect one side of the horn to one side of the 12v battery. Connect the other side of the battery to the metal of the car body/frame. Connect the other side of the horn to the button, and the other side of the button to the car body/frame.

Thanks Peter and Andrew, this cheap horn now gives a (non A7 sounding) AOOGHA so I'm legal again.

Brian. Have you considered a small 6 to 12 volt converter installed onto your 6 volt battery. This way you can use your 12 volt stuff off the one battery. The advantages being that you do not require a second battery or the charging of it. I use one to run my 12 volt satnav. They cost around £10 from ebay and are the size of a match box.

John Mason

Many thanks John, I didn't realise that such things existed. I used a separate 12v battery because I had one spare and I'm not very good with electrickery (as one member puts it).
I'll have a look around for one of those gadgets.

Be careful, a horn may draw more current than one of those 6-12v converters can safely deliver.

A satnav will draw a low current compared to a horn.

I had a problem with the armoured cable shorting out and had apparently fixed it but now it's back and the aluminium armouring shorts out on both the 6v and 12v circuits.
I have already insulated both ends of some cables and will do all the other cables and look for any areas where the middle of the armouring may be touching a live connection.
I'll get there eventually!!