Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: White Metalling Company?

It'd help if you gave some idea as to what part of the country you're in.

Hi
Thank you for the suggestions. I am in Warrington, Cheshire.
Regards,
Colin

Colin Morgan
Hi
Does anyone have an up-to-date recommendation for getting con rod big ends re-white metalled, please?
Regards
Colin

Coventry Metalling and Boring…….. superb work …….

Thanks - hope this proves useful to others, too - Colin

Colin like Steve I would praise the work of Ian Burlingham in York, you have to book your slot usually some time forward.
Ian is a serious engineer for me gets a quality into the job that would be hard to beat.

Cannot imagine anyone better, fair on price too.

Todays post on Pre War Car

http://www.prewarcar.com/

has a link to a tutorial on do it yourself white-metaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaeNvQEBa2U&feature=youtu.be

Not sure my skills are up to it but some might like to try!

Tony.

Just a quike beware,

I have seen several sets of rods done by John Kirkby, the job of metaling looked very good. But if you send him dirty rods he does not clean them before metaling. I've seen a bent rod that was sent to him, and he metaled it? Also filed caps White metaled, the machineing went through the White metal into the rod.

I don't want this to be seen as a complaint against his work, IT ISN'T.

It is more of a warning, if you send bent, filed, worn out little ends, dirty, cracked rods. They don't get magically repaired. And if you want him to clean the rods before metaling. Request it.

I put a set of rods into bore and metaling last year, as I needed a quike job. Again they didn't clean the rods before metaling. They came back dirty with the crack test I had used still on the rod. Just new metaling. I wasnt impressed for £100 per rod.

But again perhaps I should have done the work for them.

Tony.

It's worth saying that over the last few years, about a third of the rods I've seen are cracked. It's really essential, as To y says to have them cleaned and crack tested before sending for white metalling.

That's both worrying and useful information Tony.
Just shows you can't take anything for granted and that you have to be quite specific.

You would have thought he might have clarified things with you wouldn't you? - perhaps pointing out that if you want the work suitably prepared then that will cost £X per rod.

Also if the components aren't suitable for reconditioning then I'd expect him or his representative to point that out before proceeding, after all he is supposed to be the 'expert'.
I would have expected better. :(

Steve V.

Hi
Certainly worth having crack testing done on any con rod that is to be put back into an engine - fortunately, a local club member here is an expert on mag particle testing.
Regards
Colin

I used to use Steve cottrell at clay cross, until we sadly lost him a few years ago.

Although I would do the checks myself, Steve would crack test and jig the rods to check they were straight just in case I missed anything.

He also cleaned the rods both before metaling and after to get any residue off.

So you got a fantastic looking job back.

I guess when you get used to that sort of attension to detail.

Anything less feels like short change.

You miss these things when they are gone.

Tony

Mike T.
Colin Morgan
Hi
Does anyone have an up-to-date recommendation for getting con rod big ends re-white metalled, please?
Regards
Colin

Coventry Metalling and Boring…….. superb work …….

They will not metal any rods or grind any cranks until they have crack tested them first, this is done by them, in house, as a standard part of their service…….

Hi
Job 'sent to Coventry'. Now done and returned - looks good and a quick turnaround.
Thanks
Colin